Author Topic: Creating a Snacker?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Creating a Snacker?
« on: August 10, 2005, 22:22:04 pm »
So maybe this is non-BW of me to say but I feel like the whole feeding solids an hr after bf (or bottle) is turning my days into how they were before the routine- all we do is EAT- first we eat from the breast and then we eat at the table an hr later! 

Also- she seems to be taking less at each breastfeed after the solids and I thought the idea was not to replace calories?  I don't want her to wean herself accidentially...and she is starting to arch off the breast since I started introducing them 2 weeks ago.

I just feel like my days are consumed with baby feeding again and that is what I so loved in the beginning about the BW- that all of that snacking changed...and now it is back!  I just worry that as she gets older she'll become a snacker like before because of this?

I am just finding that this is not working!  Am I the only one! :?  :o
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
Creating a Snacker?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:09:44 pm »
I wondered about this too for a while - it seems like the entire day is organized around her meals!  But babies have small stomachs and it's actually healthier to eat 5 small meals a day than it is to have 3 larger ones - even for adults!  Even weaned babies often seem to need a midmorning and a mid afternoon snack - the same as if they were getting milk at those times, basically.  So now I try to look at the breastfeeds as that - snacks (unless they're basically coinciding with your meals -within an hour).

You said he seems to be taking less from the breast - are you always giving milk BEFORE solids?  Milk is the more important source of nutrition for at least the first 9 months, and mostly for the first year.  I've also found that my dd seems to take less time at the breast, but judging from my pumping, I think she just drinks faster.  (I didn't think it could get faster than it already was, but it did).  I'd suggest focusing on the milk for now, and look at solids as just practice for now.

Re-reading my post - I'm not sure if I was at all helpful, but at least you're not the only one who's wondered this stuff!  :wink:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline branwen

Creating a Snacker?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 20:02:23 pm »
At least I'm not the only one! :lol: I think I have decided for my own sanity to feed solids directly (10-15 min) after 3 of the breast feeds...so like you said, 2 of my breastfeeds will be "snacks".  I just can't do the hr after thing, esp because my lo's awake time is all over the place these days.  I know she'll eat less solids because of this but I really shouldn't be worrying about that since the breastmilk is best right now-at least that is what I keep telling myself!  Why so much pressure with the solids if it's not supposed to replace stuff until age 1- right? :D  :?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Creating a Snacker?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 18:30:58 pm »
Quote from: branwen
Why so much pressure with the solids if it's not supposed to replace stuff until age 1- right? :D  :?
Exactly!! :D  I have to keep reminding myself that all the time... :roll:
Erin

Offline branwen

Creating a Snacker?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 19:00:17 pm »
Erin- your dd is so pretty!!!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Creating a Snacker?
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 19:54:54 pm »
Aw, shucks, thanks!  :oops: I think so, but I admit I'm a little biased...  :wink:
Erin

annamum

Creating a Snacker?
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 22:53:05 pm »
Both of your los are pretty, I noticed that already some time ago.

OK, my advice doesn't go well with what pediatricians say, I don't have a very high opinion about some of them  :lol: . When Anna turned 6 months, we had a well baby exam and our doctor told us to start adding cereal first. I braced myself and waited longer, she really didn't seem ready to me. At 7 months, she had a little bit of mashed banana once a day and bmilk was her main food. She was still in 95 percentile and developing well. Later, I started offering her more of mashed vegetables but she only liked squash. So, for next two months banana and squash were her only solid foods. Then she turned one and shown a strong interest in our table foods. Since then she has been eating like a little shark, grabbing food by herself, not much mess, I don't spend time preparing separate meals for her, she eats basically everything that is on our table.

Just wanted to tell you not to get too upset about baby food, you know she is getting all her nutrients from your bmilk and solids are just for fun. You don't have to offer them 3 times a day if this doesn't work, maybe 2 times will be more convenient for both of you.

I personally, had my days evolving around my dd's naps, she was such a good eater that eating was never a problem but naps were  :cry: .

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Creating a Snacker?
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 23:26:44 pm »
Branwen - this stage IS for "practice"  and is an important stage - getting used to a spoon, getting used to eating something besides milk, using their tongues...so if she wants to eat the food, good; but if she only eats for 5 minutes that is fine too so don't feel you have to spend ages doing it.  I belileve until 8-9 mo you offer breast first so that she will still take nearly a full feed before eating the solids. 

Around 7-9 months is when the quantities/textures start to matter as they do need more food to fuel their bodies and it is also important at that age to practice on purees so they can get ready for "normal" foods. there are developmental stages with eating just like with crawl/stand/walk, they need to learn to move thicker foods around, swallow, chew, etc. and gradually between 7-12 months solids do replace milk and is just part of them growing up.   :D  You can also have a little fun with her during meal time - in a month she will be more efficient at it as well .  Alex and I had some great "conversations" with her in a high chair and I worked on baby sign language during meal times and she said some of her first words during meals.  If it is a social time for you, you will both enjoy it as a part of your day rather than an extension of "feeds".  HTH
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline janet&p

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 00:27:31 am »
You are definately not alone.  I was terribly confused when my DD started solids.  It took me awile to realise it was just practice and to consider it as a part of awake time.

I've tried directly after breastfeeding, 30 mins after and 1 hour after.  I've also tried putting DD back on the breast for 10mins after the solids, as suggested in the toddler book. Unbelievable considering DD has only been on solids for 8 weeks.

I've settled on 1 hour after the breastfeed.  Seems to work for now.

I have found now that I'm more concerned about the 45min naps. :(

I re-read the Sleep Interview with Tracy and noted some interesting suggestions by her with regards to 'getting the calories in'.   

Is your baby having napping problems?
Janet