Author Topic: 9.5 mo. old fighting 2nd nap...time for just 1?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
9.5 mo. old fighting 2nd nap...time for just 1?
« on: August 10, 2005, 23:47:36 pm »
Hi ladies,

I know this question has been asked before...

I have a 9.5 mo old DS who has been taking 2 good naps per day since he was about 5 months old.  The last few days we've had trouble getting him down for the afternoon nap.  Today, he just wouldn't go down at all.  He's been up since 11:30am!  Just wondering if this is a sign that he's ready for just one nap a day?  He seems too young for that!  If so, how do I handle?  And how long does the transition take?

Or perhaps this is just a fluke?  He generally sleeps between 11-12 hours per night, and then the balance of his 2-3 hrs in naps.  (usually at 9am, then 1 or 1:30pm)

Any comments are appreciated!

Offline Izzy-B's mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
    • http://www.thinline.ca
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 02:11:58 am »
Is your ds learning anything new?  crawling, pulling up, cruising, walking... etc..  ??     I ask this b/c everytime dd reaches a new milestone this same thing happens and I'm left wondering, 'is it time to drop one nap.. already :shock: ?  ~~  and then once she learns something new, she's back to normal..

Just a thought

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 19:31:40 pm »
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.  I don't think there's anything new going on.  He has been crawling for a while now, and cruising for a few weeks as well.  I doubt it's teething because he is in a fine mood all day.  The morning naps continue to be smooth sailing.  He is tired right at the 2.5 - 2.75 hr mark.  And I think if a baby is ready for one nap, it's when the morning nap is a struggle.  Is that right? 

I was also wondering...if the baby sleeps 12 hrs at night, should you split out the remaining 2 hrs of sleep needed throughout the day?  I hate when I over think everything, but I do!

Offline Izzy-B's mommy

• Showing Appreciation 31
    • http://www.thinline.ca
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 14:34:20 pm »
I know Isabella sleeps 11.5-12 hours at night and she still has her two naps.   I wake her up between 7-7:30am and she goes for her first nap at 10 until 12pm.   Then she goes for another one at 3pm until 4:30-5pm and then back to bed at 7:30pm

HTH

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 03:07:34 am »
My LO did the same thing a few weeks ago and it last for 2 wks - i thought i am not ready for 1 nap! :x   Then sure as can be, she went right back to great napping 1.25-2.00hr.  We didn't have anything developmental either - just a blip in the road.

The things i did change that helped:
-moved am nap from 9.30 to 10 & pm nap from 2.30 to 2.30 OR 3.00 (watching her sleep signs)
-don't let her have more then 11.5hr at night
-wake her no later then 7 (okay somedays 7.30  :wink: )

Just ride it out, she should snap back soon.

PS:
Quote (selected)
I was also wondering...if the baby sleeps 12 hrs at night, should you split out the remaining 2 hrs of sleep needed throughout the day? I hate when I over think everything, but I do!

That is totally up to you, but it is the pm nap you will keep so when you have nap problems, then i have read to keep the am nap to no more then 1hr.  Hope that helps.

Offline christiansmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 03:26:22 am »
My ds did the same thing for a couple of weeks then he went back to two naps.  He is 19 months old and he has been on one nap for a long time.  He usually takes a nap around 11 AM and sleeps for 1 1/2 - 3 hours.  I love the one nap!  If you can get them on an early nap.  Good luck!!!!! :D  :D  :D