Author Topic: When to 2 naps?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Leann

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
When to 2 naps?
« on: August 11, 2005, 14:40:17 pm »
Just a quick question about when most of your babies moved to 2 naps and how the EASY thing went at that point.  I'm assuming that means there are 2 feeds in the afternoon/evening with no nap in between?

Asher is almost 6 months old and still doing fine on 3 naps although the third one is sometimes regular length and sometimes 45 minutes.  Also, he is sometimes doing all three naps a little shorter...say, an hour and fifteen minutes or so.  I'm trying to prepare for 2 naps but I'm not sure when to expect him to be ready.
Asher Walter, 21 Feb 2005
mostly textbook with a tiny bit of touchy

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
When to 2 naps?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 18:32:34 pm »
My dd moved to 2 naps around 8 months.  It was gradual - some days she just didn't want to go down for the late afternoon catnap - and when she didn't have it, she seemed ok.  She started being able to have a longer stretch between her morning and afternoon nap too (closer to 1 or 2 pm rather than 12) so I finally just stopped trying for the last nap.  If she was grumpy (short naps, or earlier afternoon nap), I'd move her bedtime a little earlier that day.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

lil'monkey

When to 2 naps?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 19:26:44 pm »
We switched to 2 naps at around 7 months.  I got tired of fighting dd for the third nap (2 wks) so I just forced the issue and not offered it to her ( 2-3 days).  On those days, I just moved bedtime earlier and once we got the routine, I slowly moved bedtime back to around 7 pm.  I found it hard to follow EASY once dd in on 2 naps, solids and her awake times varies throughout the day.  So I end up giving her milk before her 2nd nap so that she won't wake up early b/c she is hungry.

Daniel's mummy

When to 2 naps?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 08:53:52 am »
My ds is 6.5 months old now and we have just moved to 2 naps this past week.  Over the last few weeks he's had some days where he has really fought his last sleep and also he's been waking up very early in the morning and we began to wonder whether less daytime sleep might help him sleep longer at night.

Now he has a morning nap from 9.30 - 11.  He then has his milk.  At about 1pm he has his solids and then we try to keep him awake til 2pm.  He then sleeps til about 3.30 (some days I try to extend his sleep til 4pm).  He has his solids at about 5pm and then his milk at about 6pm.  He can usually then make it through then til 7pm bedtime.  Now he wakes up about 6.30am or 7 (much better than his usual 5am!)

A friend of mine has a one year old and she has only recently moved to 2 naps.  So I guess a lot does just depend on the baby (as always) :)

Offline Leann

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
When to 2 naps?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 14:05:53 pm »
Thanks everyone, it helps to know what clues to look for.  By the way, you all have some very sweet babies.  I just want to pinch their cheeks!
Asher Walter, 21 Feb 2005
mostly textbook with a tiny bit of touchy

Daniel's mummy

When to 2 naps?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 12:03:27 pm »
We're now back to 3 naps!

I must have spoken too soon, my ds is back to wanting 3 naps a day again.  I think he's teething so that probably has more to do with it.  Funny though that just as I posted about him going to 2 naps (and I felt so happy about that!) he's now back to 3. :)