Author Topic: help nap problem! crying  (Read 1862 times)

Offline phs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
help nap problem! crying
« on: August 12, 2005, 08:10:52 am »
Hello my baby wakes up after 30-40 minutes, she always has short naps but wakes up crying. If it is a mantra cry how long do i let her cry before going into her? It normally starts as a mantra and then becomes a cry which says i cant go abck to sleep! I have tried sh pat and wake to sleep but none of them work. She is 3.5months old so i'm have been trying the PU/PD but she doesnt calm down she just cries more and more? Please help any  more advice?

Offline Onewoman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
help nap problem! crying
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 11:14:33 am »
Hi, another Essex girl  :D (Not that I am really just live here!)

How does your lo get to sleep? And how often does she eat? What's your routine? Hopefully we can sort something our from there  :D
Susana xx
Mum to Ruby Rose (Spirited, Touchy)
& Ella Joy 4/10/92 (Teenage and hormonal)

Offline mirshine

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
help nap problem! crying
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 12:32:26 pm »
I am having the exact same problem.  She will not sleep past 30 mins.  Almost to the bloody second!  I have tried being there to sooth her so she won't wake up.  I've tried leaving her to mantra cry, but this turns into a full cry most of the time and then I try PU/PD sometimes this works sometimes I have to do it two or three times each nap time.  Other times she just keeps on mantra crying.  HELP!!  I have no idea what to do.  Night times have sorted themselves out, but I don't have a clue about naps.
Sorry this is no help phs, I just hope someone out there has some tips!!

Offline Emily's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Napping
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 14:38:39 pm »
Hi,

I was beginning to think I'm the only one who's baby won't sleep in the day. My name is Sharon, I'm mum to Emily 10 weeks, & James 7.
I can't get Emily to sleep in her cot during the day, so at the moment she sleeps for half an hour on my bed in the morning, then either will fall asleep going for a walk, usually for 30 mins, or possibly 2 hours if going out in the car.
I wasn't sure if I should try the pu/pd method, as she sleeps well during the night, usually only waking once for a feed. My concern is that if she gets too distressed in her cot in the day, that this will have a knock on effect during the evening.

Does anyone have any advice? :(
sharon

Offline phs

• Showing Appreciation 0
help nap problem! crying
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 13:48:43 pm »
Thank you for responses. I live in Essex but not an Essex girl  :)

She wakes up anywhere between 6-7am and has her feed, then some mild activity, we dont leave the room. I then put her dwon and she sleeps for 2 hours until her next feed. She is on a 3.5 hour schedule.
After that first sleep she doesnt sleep for more then 30mins during her nap time. I go into the room shut the blind, sit down with her and let her get calm and then put her in the cot. She goes to sleep but always wakes up after 30-35 minutes crying. I have tried to leave her (mantra cry) but it then escalaltes do i hold her and let her get calm, then as soon as i put her down she cries/screaming cry! she wont go to sleep then. Same with all nap times. But she sleeps well at night, has her last feed, then bathtime and asleep by 7.30-8pm, I give her a dreamfeed at 10.30 and then she sleeps till the morning.

But i need help for her naptimes, i have tried pu/pd but she keeps crying and gets in a real state and its hard to do it on your own!

Hope you have some solutions!

Thank you  :)

Offline mirshine

• Showing Appreciation 0
help nap problem! crying
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 14:01:29 pm »
Hey guys
I tried something new this morning.  When Sarah woke up (30 mins on the dot) she didn't seem too tired, so I took her up for an hour and then put her back down.  She had another 30 min nap.
Unfortunately this afternoon's nap is a complete disaster.  She was too tired after 30 mins to get up but has been mantra crying since.  After 40 mins gave up and took her up for 5 or so mins.  Just put her back down and she's bloody just starting to scream again.  Grrrrrrrrr.

Offline Onewoman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
help nap problem! crying
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 11:39:08 am »
It's soo frustrating isn't it.....when you know they are tired and won't have a good sleep. One thing I have noticed is that good night sleepers often don't nap well, completely disspelling the idea of good day sleep means good night sleep  :lol: . This is what my lo is like. I am also working on longer naps, and am successful somedays and others not - I just haven't worked out what the variables are yet! :shock: I'm moving to the 4hr EASY, hoping that this will resolve the issue. Today I have also completely blacked out the room! We will see how that works.

Phs, I'm wondering how much sleep in total your lo gets in 24 hrs. Normal for her age is about 15 hours. She has a good nights sleep then a good long nap which must be a good 13/14 hrs in total? It would be a shame to change it (possibly), but if she was awake more in the morning she might have better naps later on. My other thought is if she sleeps well after quiet play in your room in the morning, maybe that would help for an afternoon nap too.

Other ideas are to keep baby up for 1.75 - 2 hrs consistently, so they are more tired therefore need more sleep. Move to 4hr EASY if you aren't already. Decide to do pu/pd for every nap you want to extend for as long as it takes (probably about 3-5 days) - Yes it is bloody hard on your own! Keep stimulation to a minimum, turn the tv off etc. especially if you have a spirited type.

These are all my ideas for now! Let me know how it goes  :D
Susana xx
Mum to Ruby Rose (Spirited, Touchy)
& Ella Joy 4/10/92 (Teenage and hormonal)

Offline phs

• Showing Appreciation 0
help nap problem! crying
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 14:08:06 pm »
Thank you so much! I have started swtiching to a 4 hour routine, she should be on it by next week. I am also trying to extend awake time, lets hope this all works!

I'll let you know how i get on.

:)

Offline mirshine

• Showing Appreciation 0
help nap problem! crying
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 14:19:40 pm »
Hey
Just tried a suggestion from another thread. sneak in before the half hour and cover eyes and sooth and shh.  Did this for an hour.  Time consuming and tiring but lo had a good hour and forty minute sleep which is great.  The suggestion said it will eventually take less time to keep them asleep.  I'm going to try it for a while and see how it goes.  Will let you know.