Author Topic: 1-yr-old not napping  (Read 1355 times)

Offline jaweav

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 12, 2005, 13:33:35 pm »
I really could use some advice here. We've used the Baby Whisperer techniques since our daughter was born. Though we've had ups and downs, she's always done well sleeping at night and taking her naps until two weeks ago. We went out of town and she had a stomach flu. Since getting back, she won't go down for a nap and is cranky all day because of it. Before, we could put her in her crib and leave the room and she would drift off to sleep. Now she screams when we leave the room so one of us sits in her room until she settles down to sleep. That works at night, but not during the naps. I'll put her in her crib and she'll be quiet for a while so it seems she's about to sleep, but then she stands up and is ready to come out of the crib without sleeping. And she's been waking up much earlier. I try to extend it by getting in there early and patting her back, but it only works for ten minutes. Her separation anxiety is full-blown now. I can't leave the room for a second without her screaming. She's cut her sleep time down so much in the past two weeks that she seems like a different person.

Other possible factors: She hasn't started walking yet but is obsessed with trying. We started her on whole milk right before the trip.
If anyone can give me some ideas as to how to get her back on track, I really need the help. Thanks!

Offline Costarican mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
1-yr-old not napping
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 22:53:46 pm »
Hey.....I'm going thru the exact same thing with my almost one year old as well.  There's a lot of similarities between our children's situations... his mess started two weeks ago with a cold...since then, it's like he's another child.  Is your daughter eating well?  I'm having a nightmare of a time getting my son to eat lunch and dinner.... maybe we can exchange tips....I'm desperate too!

Offline Lavinia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1-yr-old not napping
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 20:17:30 pm »
Our dd went through something similar at 12 months.  She had been suffering from a terrible cold which led to the arrival of seven teeth in the space of four days and her first independent steps as she walked on her first birthday.  I have to say, a couple of weeks after the teeth arrived adn she'd been walking, everything returned to normal and her sleeping habits were re-established. I think it's as though the excitement of doing something so new is overwhleming and sleep is the last thing on their minds.

Good luck, I hope you see some improvements soon,
Lavinia

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
1-yr-old not napping
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 21:24:42 pm »
we went right off schedule whilst on holiday just after dd turned one and i was worried we'd have problems, especially as for three weeks she didn't nap in a cot at all.

when we got home I took her out in the pushchair or car to get her to sleep and then transferred her to hre cot, then she got used to waking up from her nap in her cot and it got back to normal from there.

This was actually a blessing in disguise as it helped her go from one nap to two.
Kimberley