Author Topic: fussy at breat - new occurance  (Read 1394 times)

Offline lidybugmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 12, 2005, 13:38:49 pm »
Any advise on fussiness.  Lydia (4weeks old) in  the past few days has been very fussy - bobbing off the breast, making sounds, letting out a cry mid feeding.  Any advise would be much appreciated.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
fussy at breat - new occurance
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 18:17:15 pm »
Hi there - A few things come to mind, but a couple of questions first... How were things going before?  Has she been eating well and gaining weight well? Enough dirty diapers during the day? If she's gaining weight well, then it's probably not a supply issue.  However, 4 weeks is time for a growth spurt and it can take your breasts a few days to accomodate to the increased demand for milk. You said a few days - how long and is it at every feed?

You also might want to check the reflux boards for the signs of reflux - I know bobbing on and off and crying during or after feeds can be a sign of reflux or also an overactive letdown reflex. Does she also cry after a feed (common with reflux) or only during? What position do you usually feed her in and have you tried others?  If you have a very strong letdown, she might be sputtering and crying because she can't cope with the flow.  You could try feeding her lying down (if you're comfortable with that) - gravity tends to be less of a factor so the milk flow calms down  :wink: .  It could also be gas...how are her poops?  Finally - how is she sleeping?  Sometimes overtired or overstimulated babies cry during feeds too.  At 4 weeks she should be sleeping an awful lot... :?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline lidybugmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 11:45:57 am »
Thank you for responding to my question.  Lydia is having regular wet and soiled diaper and appears to be gaining weight just fine.  She does not fuss at every feeding just some of them.  She seems to sleep fine and sleeps an awful lot.  I will check the reflux boards. Thanks.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
fussy at breat - new occurance
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 12:39:23 pm »
If she's gaining weight well and nothing on the reflux boards seems to fit, then it's probaby that you have a strong letdown.  Let me know if you have more trouble!  :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha