Author Topic: Red patch on breast?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Marrat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 12, 2005, 14:20:04 pm »
I've been BF for the past 6 mths - never had this problem. I woke up this morning, right breast sensitive when upright (not to the touch). When I checked, I saw this red patch on part of my breast - I felt, but no lumps underneath. Took some Panadol, this afternoon still sensitive and red patch. What can this be? Blocked duct? Should I pump to empty this breast?

Please help

Offline violeta&alex

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Red patch on breast?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 14:26:29 pm »
It could be mastitis. I had it three times already and every time I had a red area on the berast  and it also felt tender. You need to go to your doctor and get it checked -the earlier the better.

annamum

Red patch on breast?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 14:52:59 pm »
Yes, it could be the beginning of mastitis. Nurse on this breast often and go to see a doctor. With mastitis you will feel like you have a sort of flu, muscle aches, high fever. It usually doesn't last too long, 2 to 3 days and if it is not a heavy case, it can go away even without anitbiotics.

If you go to the doctor and if she gives you an antibiotic, insist that the doctor makes sure it is OK to nurse while on it, or prescribes you another one that is safe. A key to get over mastitis is to nurse or pump from that breast to drain it well. You will need plenty of rest.

Offline CarolinaGirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mastitis?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 18:04:40 pm »
Is the redness a rash on the skin or is the skin red and warm like with mastitis? Here is a good site about mastitis:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Breastfeeding_dealing_with_mastitis?OpenDocument

Mastitis during BF is usually due to a blocked milk duct. I have had mastitis while BF and did this treatment myself, Within 2 days, it was gone.

Treatment of mastitis (Non-infective mastitis)
Feed baby on affected breast first every time.
Apply heat before a feed, gentle massage of the affected area during feeding, and cold packs after a feed for comfort.
Change in feeding position/hold to make sure duct is being emptied.
More frequent feeding or expressing.
If symptoms don't improve, or if they worsen, see your doctor.

Hope this helps! Good luck, Heather
Mommy to Logan (10 yrs.) and Luke (4 mos) and a Nurse Practitioner

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Red patch on breast?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 23:24:13 pm »
HI - redness on the breast is almost always a sign of mastitis and even though you can "treat" it yourself i have been told by my doctor that it should always be looked at by a doctor.

i was treated with antibiotics (i believe all meds that are specific for mastitis are BF safe) and it did clear up with extra Bf and rest. be warned (my Dr forgot to mention) that many of the antibiotics can cause a yeast infection/thrush for you and baby.  i only learned the connection when it was too late and had to go in for a check and cream for me and baby.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified