Author Topic: Any thoughts on Soy Formula?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Onewoman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Any thoughts on Soy Formula?
« on: August 13, 2005, 08:56:35 am »
I am breastfeeding and want to introduce one bottle of formula a day, mainly so that DH can feel included. I am not very good at expressing and have only ever been able to get 2/3 ounces out in a day max which is not enough for a feed. I would save it up so DH could do a feed every few days, but I am just fed up with expressing and have been doing it less and less!

As Ruby is intolerant to cows milk protein I have bought some soy formula. (I drink lots of soya milk and she is fine with it in my diet). Being me I thought I would have a little look on the internet about soy formula and saw some scary stuff about it having too much manganese in it which can cause brain damage! There was also info about it having too much oestrogen.

What to do? Obviously I don't want to do her any harm. Can anyone give any reassurance or info?

Thanks  :D
Susana xx
Mum to Ruby Rose (Spirited, Touchy)
& Ella Joy 4/10/92 (Teenage and hormonal)

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 10:33:22 am »
Hiya

I haven't used soy formula myself but both of my nephews were cows milk intolerant and were fed on soy formula and they were both fine with it. I just recall it having a weird smell - although the weird smell was preferable to the projectile vomit that normal formula produced  :lol:

Hope your lo takes to it okay.

love
Marie

Offline Queen Mother

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 16:04:31 pm »
My three-month-old ds has been on soy formula since he was about a week old; he seemed intolerant to breastmilk, so our pediatrician recommended Similac Isomil Advance Soy Formula.  He has done beautifully on it.  We've had absolutely no problems.  I asked about other brands (after comparing costs), and he said that he prefers that one's vitamin and mineral content to other brands, plus it has DHA and ARA, which is good for brain and eye development.

The only downside is the smell--burps and spit-up are not pleasant!

Also, I was a soy baby, back when formula wasn't nearly as beefed up with good stuff as it is nowadays, and I turned out just fine!

Hope that helps.