Author Topic: Expressing/Increasing milk supply - help please.  (Read 2418 times)

Offline EllieLock

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Expressing/Increasing milk supply - help please.
« on: August 02, 2005, 20:36:09 pm »
Hi there,

Just worrying about my supply of milk. I've had really painful nipples (I now have a hole in one side of my right nipple where it's had so much damage) and am worried I've affected the supply by not being consistent with feeding. I've used a shield on a few occasions when I just couldn't stand it any more, and avoided using the right one quite so much at times I guess.

I've bought a medula electric pump and started using it today, but am worried as I never seem to be able to get more than an ounce out of each side :( She isn't putting on weight as much as she should and I'm concerned it's cos I'm not producing enough now.

I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas/plans which could help with regards to when to express and how much, and when to do top ups etc. I'm now paranoid my milk is going to dry up!

Thanks in advance,
Ellie

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 20:46:01 pm »
Hi Ellie - a couple of questions first:
How old is you lo?  And are you breastfeeding much at all now or mostly pumping to give bottles?  How long have your nipples been sore and have you had the latch checked to rule out that as a factor?  Also thrush can reek havok on one's nipples too...

I think until your nipples can be healed up (and you should REALLY see a lactation consultant ASAP for that!), it'll be hard to up your production.  The best way to up production is to feed, feed, feed!  Your milk supply will increase with demand - either bf or pump (although for some moms it's harder to do with a pump).  But first you need those poor nipples addressed!! :(
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline EllieLock

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 21:16:14 pm »
Hi RedStarFalling

Thanks for replying.  My lo (does that mean little one?) was 2 weeks old on Sunday.  Nipples have hurt from day 1, with lo sicking up just blood cos of damage to right hand side at one stage.  I'm pretty sure it is down to latching on issues, I went to a clinic yesterday and they made some improvements to my technique, but said it's going to take quite a while for the right one to heal.   :(   I've done nearly  24 hours of  expressing to bottle feed from that side to give it a rest, but am back to the breast now, albeit very gingerly.

Atm I'm feeding roughly 3 hourly.  Do you think I should make it more like 2 hourly?  Should some of these be expressed?

TIA,
Ellie

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 13:05:54 pm »
I'm really not too sure.  Did you ask the lc about that too?  If it were just a matter of increasing your supply, I'd say, yes - go to 2 hr feedings for a couple of days.  But if your nipples are still that bad, I'd be afraid of causing more pain and damage - maybe Monika or Katherine can comment (the moderators).  Actually breastfeeding tends to be a better stimulation that just pumping, but does the pumping hurt as much?  If it's less painful, then I'd be inclined to do some of the pumping during the day to rest your right breast and demand or cue feed on the left - anywhere from every 2-3 hrs.  Once your nipples are healed up, you could always increase the frequency of your feeds and that would likely up your production quickly.

Are you also using something like lansinoh cream on the nipple?  I found it somewhat helpful with chapping.  Also, you could take some tylenol before a feed to help with pain and some moms have used ice on the nipple to help with the first latch on.  But I'd suggest that only if you know the latch is better - pain is a signal that there's a problem!  You should definitely go back to the clinic in a couple of days (if you can!) to recheck the latch and make sure you're still doing it right.  Did they also check for thrush?

That's all I can think of right now - but I wanted to say good for you for sticking it out this long - I can only imagine what you've been going through!  A lot of moms would have given up and I'm impressed that you didn't!!  :D And lo does mean "little one".  :wink:

BTW, if you don't hear from Annasmum or Davidsmom on this thread in the next day or so (I'd feel better if you had their input too), maybe PM them or I will, just to check if they have other thoughts.  Good luck and keep me posted on your progress!  :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 18:14:04 pm »
Hi Ellie,

It sounds like you've gotten good advice from your breastfeeding clinic. First you work on that latch (good positioning, baby to breast not breast to baby, mouth wide, nipple deep in mouth) and yes give your breast that is damaged a rest when you need to. It is ok to nurse off the good side first and the hurting side second if that feels better, or just pumping the second side. Our breasts are amazing adaptive things, and they will produce as much as your baby needs.

At 2 weeks old, I would hesitate to pump too much in replacement of feedings. If your supply is truly not enough, then you nurse first and then pump immediately after. Your lactation consultant should give you a schedule for this type of feeding/pumping.

Also at 2 weeks old, only producing 1-2 ounces per breast is normal from a pump. Your baby can get more milk (with a good latch) than a pump can get, even the Medela PIS. She should probably be feeding more often like redstarfalling said, every 1.5-2 hrs during the day(this means you must wake her during the day to eat) and every 3-6 hrs at night. (Some lc's suggest not going longer than every 3 hrs at night is supply is truly an issue)

Here is a link   http://www.bflrc.com/newman/articles.htm    to some handouts by Dr Jack Newman, breastfeeding "guru" of Canada. His writing on proper latch and sore nipples are fantastic help!

Best of luck and keep on seeing that lc. Getting off to a good start now will ensure your nursing success!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 18:22:30 pm »
Hi Ellie,

You've had some great advice already, but I just wanted to add that I also had problems like that in the first couple of months, and nearly gave up several times :cry: .

I know I would have done if my hv hadn't recommended KAMILLOSAN Cammomile cream for sore nipples. As you're in the UK, most supermarkets sell it (yellow box, white tube, in the baby aisle next to gripe water, etc). It must be put on AFTER every feed, and thoroughly cleaned off before feeds (as another hv said it can cause thrush :roll: ) - I used baby wipes. You also need breast pads as it can be messy (Tommy Tippee are the best). I had to persist with it, and used it until my lo was about 3 months, but like I said, I don't think I could have carried on without it.

Take care, hope it works out,
Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston