Author Topic: Help with 15-30 minute naps!  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Sue & Syd

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help with 15-30 minute naps!
« on: August 12, 2005, 22:40:14 pm »
I have a 7 week little girl and we seem to have our evening sleeps down to a fine science.  However, during the day, she gets very little sleep and I don't know what to do to fix it! :(

Our evening schedule looks something like this:

5:00PM - Feed (3-4oz approx)
5:30PM - Bath
6:00PM - Feed (2-3oz approx) and wind down
6:30PM - Sleep

This is her longest stretch of sleep where she goes 5 - 6.5 hours.

01:00AM - Feed (2-3oz approx)
01:15AM - Sleep
03:45AM - Feed (2-3oz approx)
04:00AM - Sleep
06:30AM - Feed (3-4oz approx)
07:00AM - Sleep till usuall 9am

This is where napping turns into a nightmare!

She will stay up for an hour for Activity time and then as soon as I notice the signs, I start wind down with relaxing mommy time.  She will drift off and when I place her in her cradle, she will either a) pop wide awake and crane her neck way back or b) drift off to sleep but only stay asleep for 15-30 minutes waking up often times with a cry (or even just waking up normally) and then she is wide awake and no amount of patting or shushing will do the trick.

I am wondering if she is getting too much sleep at night which is disrupting her daytime napping?  Last week, she would stay awake for 1.5 hours after waking at 7AM but we still had horrible naps during the day! :(  I am not sure what to do!  HELP!

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Help with 15-30 minute naps!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 02:51:33 am »
It sounds to me like a combination of things.  One, you may need to try to feed her more during the day so she doesn't eat so much at night.  Two, what helped for my dd who is 12 weeks, was starting a simple routine for naptime.  But, it had to be slow, and give her time to adjust to the naptime.  I also had to start it really early.  I thought my dd could stay awake a lot too, but as it turns out, she's one of those babies that no matter how tired they are (unless seriously exhausted) those little eyes just don't close.  She also doesn't give too many sleepy cues, so I really watch the clock.  Once I started watching the clock, and her too, but the clock mostly, I discovered that she really only wanted to be awake about 1 1/2 hours total, including feeding, diaper change, activity and windown.  My naptime routine is very simple, and it has worked wonders.  First, I look at the clock and around 1/2 hour before naptime I start to slow things down.  No loud toys, no tv, usually just sitting on my lap and talking.  Sometimes even reading a couple books or just sitting quietly.  Then we go over to the couch where I have laid out the Miracle Blanket swaddle thingy.  I lay her down on it and talk to her, and smile a lot.  Then comes the paci, and if she takes it I know she's tired.  Next I slowly swaddle her, distracting her with calm talk so she doesn't get worked up.  Finally, I pick her up, and pick up her blankie which she probably cares less about right now but I'm really hoping it will be a sleep cue and a lovie.  Then I carry her upstairs, talking calmly and smiling and telling her it's nap time.  We end up in her room, and I sit in the rocker.  Depending on when those little eyes start to droop, we rock.  Then I lay her in her crib sleepy but awake, and soothe her if necessary.  Then I walk out of eyesight, but usually will sit in there for 10-20 min and make sure she falls asleep.  This has worked wonders for her short napping.  Also, when babies are overtired, sometimes you think wow they fall asleep so quick, I'm on the right track, but they fall heavily into sleep and then snap out just as quick.  So it could be overtiredness for your daughter and also not enough of a routine with sleepy cues.  She will catch on quick, and it will become easier to put her down for naps.  And you may just have to hang out in her room a few times to see what's happening to wake her up.  Keep me posted and good luck.  Hope this helps.