Author Topic: Breastfeeding and Solids???  (Read 1191 times)

Offline jennbull

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Breastfeeding and Solids???
« on: August 13, 2005, 01:41:06 am »
My son is a very big, healthy almost 6 month old who is almost 21 pounds.  He loves to eat...I bf him at 7, 11, 3, and 7 and feed him a lot of solids (I let him eat as much as he wants) 3 times a day.  Am I doing this right?  Should he be bf more and not so much solids?  He does not seem full and happy unless he eats lots of solids.  It is like the bf does not do enough.  Should I add one more bf a day and cut back on solids?  Also, is it realistic for him to go all night, like 11 hours, without eating or is this too long?  If I do feed him at night, how do I not make him associated nursing with sleeping?

Thanks!!!! :roll:

Offline momtomiya

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 02:21:07 am »
Hi, my dd is 7 months and after a couple of weeks of introducintg solids, at 6 months, we went to three meals a day.  She is copiing well with that and is still breastfeeding 4-5 times a day. I often wonder where all that food and milk goes to  :wink:  !!!  I know all babies are different and somehow they know when to stop eating and will certainly let you know when they are hungry. So I would say keep looking at your lo for clues. As far as not feeding for 11 hours at night and that being too long, don't worry (I know easier said than done...) but if your lo is hungry he will wake up and let you know it's time for food. If you are worried that he is taking too much solid food, then what I would do is start with breastmilk, becuase as I've read in other boards milk is still supposed to be the most important food for babies until 1 year of age.

Offline Leecie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 20:36:28 pm »
hi my little one is also 7 months and is breastfed. She eats 3 meals a day and although bf through the day still wants to eat at night.. I think its because the milk i have just doesn't satisfy her needs.

she used to sleep through from the 10pm dreamfeed, but I then dropped that.. I am going to df her tonight with some formula because the dairy is looking closed... :roll:

But ones thing is for sure they certainly let you know if they are hungry!!!!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:37:35 am »
jennbull, as the mother of big boys ( my ds #1 was 22lb at 6months & #2 is 17lb at 2.5months) they can be hungry, but also  very efficient feeders, if he sleeps all night without a feed & you are offering milk first before solids, then he is probably ok. If he is sleeping 11 hours I wouldn't disturb him.
I used to make up for the fact my ds only had 4 bf a day by adding ebm to any food I could, he did for about a month (until he got sick with Bronciolitis) go 10.5 -11 hours over night & then went off solids & had an extra milk feed for a while & then it settled again.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05