Author Topic: help please!  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Bellyphant

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 18, 2005, 10:32:26 am »
Hi
my baby is 11 days old and has wanted to breastfeed constantly since birth!
I do get between 1-2 hours break about twice in 24 hours the rest of the time he wants to be on the breast. i am close to giving up! any advice please!?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
help please!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 12:29:44 pm »
Wow!  That's exhausting!  First off, how's his weight gain? And is he having lots of wet and dirty diapers (the poop should now be pretty yellow too)?  You'd want to make sure he's getting enough milk and that's the best way to judge.  When you see him eat, does he seem to be actually eating and swallowing (suck, suck, pause) or just sucking for comfort (little fast sucks)? Do you do breast compression to make sure he's emptying your breast?  If you need more info on that, let me know.

If he's gaining weight well, and has good output, then he might just be sucking for comfort (babies need to suck!). Most newborns can manage to go at least 2 hrs between feeds - that means from the start of one feed to the start of the next.  However, in the first couple of weeks, it can take them almost an hour to eat!  If it's taking much longer than that, I'd suggest you see a lactation consultant, just to make sure his latch is good. If the latch is ok and he's gaining weight well, you might want to consider introducing a pacifier (but ONLY if his weight gain is good!).  This way he gets his sucking needs met without Mommy becoming a human pacifier.  :wink:

He's still very young too - babies get much more efficient at feeding as they get older - as long as the latch is good and your milk supply is ok - it WILL get better!!  :) I hope that helps - let me know if you need more information!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
help please!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 12:30:01 pm »
What might be happening is that you're misreading his cues. I used to think that when Josie cried it wsa time to feed her - and then I realized that about 45-60 minutes after she woke up, she wasn't hungry again, just TIRED. Once I got the knack of putting her down without the breast, which she had gotten used to, it made a lot more sense for all of us.

Is your baby napping well? Or is he waking early? If he does wake early, try to get him settled without the breast; odds are he's not really hungry but just needs help resettling, as he hasn't been "out" that long.

Hope this helps; please post back with any other questions! :)

Cheers,