Author Topic: Doesn't agree that 5:30AM is a night waking....  (Read 1663 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Doesn't agree that 5:30AM is a night waking....
« on: August 14, 2005, 00:37:23 am »
Natalie will often wake around 5:30AM for a feed, and since it's often been since 2AM or once in a great while since the dream feed since she ate, I'll oblige her. Thing is, when I'm ready to put her back in bed, she's rarin' to go for the day! :shock: She'll yell and scream and cry and kick and struggle to beat the band, and this will go on for an hour EASILY, by which point it's almost time to get up anyway, and I'm still mortal so I need that hour to SLEEP. Thankfully this only happens maybe 2-3 times a week, but STILL.... :?

What I've resorted to doing the last few times she's resisted so strongly, which I know isn't helping the routine but helps me survive the mornings, is just getting her up, doing her hour of Awake time (after nursing she still has 45 minutes or so left), and then putting her back to bed at 6:30 and sleeping myself till Josie comes out at 7:30 at the earliest. (and I could easily sleep longer!)

I'll usually give it a good 10 minutes of trying to get her back down before I'll give up, and I'd say I manage to get her back down maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the time, so I'm still slightly ahead of her LOL, but what's a mere mortal mom to do at 5:30 when the 3-month-old has made it plain that her night sleep is finished, thank you very much? :?

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 00:57:09 am »
both my kids are early risers.  do not know where they get it from!

after spending a year to get andrew to sleep later i came to accept it.  he woke at 5am many mornings...i tried for an hour most days to get him back to sleep!  so at 5pm i put him to bed as an infant.  and sure enough he slept 12 hours. 

SOOOO, when my daughter started waking at 5am as an infant she too went to bed at 5pm for awhile and i just learned they are wired that way.  i don't like it.  i just accept it. (and that was the hard part!)

even now my daughter is waking at 5:30am ready to go for the day(although now her bedtime varies some and it has never gotten later in the morning!) and my son is usually around 6am(although he can go until 7am on occassion!).

i just can't wait for the day they can get up, get dressed, feed themselves and i can sleep in!  :-)

hang in there...you are not alone
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 01:08:08 am »
Hey Deb....it sounds like Zoe when she was little ( and still sometimes  a couple of times a week :wink: )

What does she do when she wakes up?  Most of the time, with Zoe, she would play for 1/2 hour or so before she "yelled" to eat or get up...thus even though she woke at 5:30...I wouldn't feed her until 6 or so.  You do have to tweak EASY a little bit, but as long as she's not feeding to sleep, you're on the right track  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline carasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 02:21:27 am »
My dd did that for a while around the 3-4 month mark... we did the same thing, fed her, changed her, played for a few minutes, but then just put her in her bouncy seat to look at the lights or toy bar.   We buckled her in and tucked her in with blankets so she was nice and comfy. We then went back to bed! She would fall asleep after a half hour or so and then sleep for another couple of hours.  It was a lot easier than fighting with her to go back to sleep, and probably not the BW thing to do, but when she started not needing to eat so early it drifted later until she wasn't waking until 6:30 or so.  That probably doesn't help much, but I guess my point is that it's easier to let her go back to sleep when she's ready than fight with her and get exhausted and frustrated so early in the morning.  I really think she'll grow out of it...