Author Topic: How much formula once baby is on solids?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Bkkmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 14, 2005, 02:35:16 am »
I intend to start DS on solids at 6 months (on the 24th), but was unsure about whether I am supposed to reduce the amount of formula I give him.   He currently drinks a whopping 44oz of formula a day and his schedule is as follows:

Wakes between 6-7am
E  7.30
S  8.30-9.00
E  11.30
S  12-12.30
E  3.00-3.30
S  3.30 (usually 15-30 mins)
E  6.30
S  7pm
DF  10-10.30pm

He will then wake at least once a night.  If it it after 2am (ie 4 hours after the DF), I will give him a 4oz bottle.

His other bottles are all 8oz, and he always empties them.    From reading the posts, most people give the milk first and then solids.  Should I reduce the amount of formula in the bottle to allow some room for the solids?

He weighs 9kg, which I think is close to 20 pounds so is a BIG boy.

Wendy
This is how old Aran is

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
How much formula once baby is on solids?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 02:16:37 am »
Once he's got the act of eating solids down and you are on three meals a day, then he should be drinking between 16 and 24 ounces of formula a day.  What is recommended is that you give the bottle first and follow up with solids an hour later, so that you know they aren't filling up on solids and missing out on vitamins and nutrients from the formula.  I give solids first and then the bottle an hour and a half later.  But Isom's never been shy about eating.  I never could keep his attention on the solids if I gave the bottle first.  He would fill up on milk and wonder why I was feeding him again.  Sounds like you have a good eater, so do what works for both of you.  I would recommend starting solids yesterday though; 44 ounces in a 24 hour period is a lot of bottles. :shock:  :D

Crystal