Author Topic: angel to acrobat  (Read 1399 times)

Offline steph & baby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
angel to acrobat
« on: August 14, 2005, 20:23:37 pm »
hi everyone, hope someone can advise me. i have to admit ive been lucky, i read baby whisperer early on and it worked a treat. theres been a few difficult patches but very shortlived and on the whole my dd would go to sleep without any trouble. we follow a routine bath bottle and bed at 8. either myself or my husband slowly carry her upstairs over our shoulder whisper night night hold her for a minute till she brathes deeply then lay her in her cot. she has a dummy and a teddy which she clutchs and turns her head towards starts to stare and shes asleep. from about 4-5 months old she generally wakes at 8 although a couple of spells when she may wake 6 30, 7, or 7 30 but this hasn't happened for approx 6 wks. 
at worst if overtired she would through her teddy n roll over a bit but never cry and as long as we left the room immediatly (it stimulates her to see you in the room) she would calm down n sleep by herself

but now she can stand i feel as though all our training has gone out the window. i have never done controlled crying but if shes fussing or crying mantra i dont go in. i did do pick uo put down though (she is 9.5 months) and forgot that your only supposed to do the put down. although ive done just put down for about 6 days now. she seems less upset now about being stood up and unable to sleep -she has started to get back down and settle herself again but now is upset when you leave the room as well as upset when your in the room even though we dont look at her or face her she is trying to stand up now to get to us. as soon as you lay her down shes up again. ive started to settle her and leave which works for so long she seams to relax and nearly nod off then shes up again and we start over.
should i stay with her and then once shes sleeping better wean her off me ie move further till out the room over a period of time
or should i stick to our rouine of leaving her letting her stand and get back down herself untill she settles (hopefully!) and just go to her if she crys. only trouble is if she stumbles in her cot and bangs her head
or should i try a new routine maybe start reading her a story in bed while she does acrobats in her cot!

help me before it gets worse thanks steph and liesel x  :cry:

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 81
angel to acrobat
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 01:50:28 am »
Hi

DS is doing this too.  What I do is bath, bottle, cuddle, then I pat his back (really quite firmly) then put him into the crib.  Sometimes he's fine and I leave, sometimes we do pu/pd (he gets overstimulated if I try to soothe him in the crib though he is 10 months).  When I leave the room I keep an ear open for him.  He often will mantra cry for a minute, then he gets really quiet.  Then he screeches.  I go in and he's standing.  We do the whole thing over and over again until he's ready to fall asleep.

I say do what works for you.  If she stays quiet and falls asleep with you in the room, then do it.  If you don't mind going in over and over to put her back down, then go with that. 

HTH
Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07