Author Topic: Time to start solids?????  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: August 14, 2005, 20:45:23 pm »
My DD was 5 months old yesterday and for the past 3 days or so, has been bfing every 2-3 hours (even at night!!! )  :roll:   She seems to be taking a pretty full feed each time but is still eating about 10-12 times a day.  I know that alot of people suggest waiting until she is 6 months to start solids but if she is not getting enough calories from this many feeds........Help.   :?
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Time to start solids?????
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 23:31:23 pm »
La Leche says that *one* sign of readiness for solids is increasing frequency of eating, including wanting to eat full meals several times per night when they previously slept through. But you need to look for other signs of readiness too - like being interested in what you are eating, moving their mouth to imitate you while eating, smacking their lips when they see you eat, being able to pick things up (like off a high chair tray) and trying to put it in their mouth. When it comes down to it, you know your baby best, and you have to decide when solids are necessary - 5 months or 8 months?

The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests waiting until at least 6 months to start solids, mostly because baby shouldn't need anything but breast until then and to cut back on food allergies. The baby food companies have got us convinced that we must give our babies purees and cereals, before our babies are ready.

If it were me, I would wait another week or so to see if this continues or lessens/stops. Consider why she is nursing so much. Are you about to get your period? Have you recently returned to work or changed your schedule? Is this a growth spurt? Are you working out too much or dieting that is affecting your milk supply?

It is so hard when they get to be about this age and you wonder if solids will "solve" things. I remember thinking, gee, he's a big baby, maybe he will sleep through again if I give him solids? Well, when he got solids, he didn't sleep through again, I think it may have been his teeth bugging him in hindsight. Good luck and I'm sure we'll see you on the feeding solid foods boards soon enough!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Nik99

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Time to start solids?????
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 17:00:47 pm »
Hi there.  My ds just turned 5 mos yesterday, and he's been doing exactly the same things as your lo.  I was at my wit's end because he seemed to want to eat all the time, and he was getting up several times a night to eat too. 

I was told to wait until he's 6 months to start solids, and so I will hold off another month if I can.  But he's over 27" long, and he weighs over 21 lbs.  I figured he can only fill up on so much milk at one time, and then he's hungry again in a few hours.

Last week I started giving him a few bottles of formula during the day.  He can down 8 oz, and it seems to sustain him longer.  I know that's not the popular solution when breastfeeding, but I just didn't seem to have enough milk to keep him satisfied longer.  I am aware that substituting bottles will hinder milk-supply, but for me, this seems to work, at least until I start him on solids.  Also, I'm not subtracting nursing sessions, but adding bottle sessions.

Last night was the first time he ever slept through. (Got up to feed at 11:30pm, then slept until 6:00am).  I don't think it was because I gave him formula, but I do think it was because I was able to up his calories by supplmenting my nursing sessions.  (Does that make sense?)
Nik,
Wife to Darren &
SAHM to 2 beautiful boys:
Logan Anthony William, b. 2003/01/21
Elijah Joseph Wilfred, b. 2005/03/15