Author Topic: quirming, pulling, kneading the breast??  (Read 2449 times)

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 14, 2005, 21:15:20 pm »
My DD (11 weeks) often squirms when I am feeding her and pulls or kneads the breast.  Sometimes she farts and then I think that was the problem but for her last feed she kept pulling away and I had to firmly hold her or she would pull off.  She also would kick and grunt.  As soon as she does come off her mouth is wide open like she wants more.  When she is eating I hear her swallowing so I don't think is milk supply.  What could this mean?
Abigail born May 26, 2005

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
quirming, pulling, kneading the breast??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 12:35:49 pm »
What's her weight gain like?  That and output (pees and poos!) are the best judge of how much milk she's really getting.  Also, how long has she been doing this? And has she been asking for feeds more often (seeming hungry?) It could be a growth spurt (sort of looking for more when she's done eating) and it might just be taking a day or 2 for your supply to increase.  Are you single side or double side feeding? I had to start doing double side feedings around that age because dd just wasn't satisfied with one.

The other thing that comes to mind is that around 11, 12 weeks, some babies just start getting way more distractible during feeds!  :roll: When she's pulling away, is she looking around the room? Have you tried feeding her when she's more relaxed or in a really quiet room? I found it helped to feed my dd right when she first wakes, so she's still a bit drowsy and she's easier to manage. :wink:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline FutureMKD@surfmk.com

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 13:33:55 pm »
My 4mo. was recently diagnosed with reflux.  He did the same while feeding.  Arching his back, grunting, etc.  Symptoms he had were loud poops, dry cough, bobbing on and off while feeding, fussy feeds and after for 30-60 min., ate from bottle w/ little problem because it comes out faster and cools his throat. Because he wasn't eating much, he ate during the night.  My milk supply went down some which worsened the problem.  He's on Prevacid now.  Somewhat better.