Author Topic: Can massage affect breastmilk?  (Read 3916 times)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Can massage affect breastmilk?
« on: August 14, 2005, 04:07:32 am »
This might sound weird, but I had a massage today (very painful, but I know I'll feel better tomorrow) and I was wondering if it would affect the breastmilk.  I've read that working out causes some lactic acid build-up from the muscles to get into breastmilk.  Since massage gets impurities and junk out of the muscles, can that end up in breastmilk?

I drank a bunch of water & expressed once not too long afterwards and threw that milk out... just in case.  However, I had to feed the LO soon after that.  Does anyone know if any of that can get into his system?  (*sigh* Am I just looking for stuff to feel guilty about?  :? )
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 04:42:44 am »
What kind of massage did you have that was painful?

I don't know about massage affecting the breastmilk, but I know drinking plenty of water after a massage is important.

Minerva

annamum

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 05:15:41 am »
I know that having an intense workout is of no consequence to quality of milk (and that also has to do with getting rid of toxins) but after a workout you don't need even to pump and dump. So I think you are pretty safe. Yes, I know, moms tend to worry too much  :lol: .

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 02:11:09 am »
I had a deep tissue massage.  My chiropractor just left for a month-long vacation and I've been feeling the effects of motherhood... in my shoulders, my upper back, my lower back.  Body parts you can normally forget about were yelling at me and I had knots everywhere!

My husband, who now gets a weekly massage (he travels for work and I encouraged him to do this for his health), decided to just schedule it for me (because he knew I wouldn't) and told me to go.  He took care of the LO, too!!   :D  :D

The masseuse must have taken a liking to me (we had a great conversation while she was massaging me) because she massaged me for 2 hours (but charged me for 1)!!!   :shock:
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna