Author Topic: Pumping breast milk  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Darius'mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 14, 2005, 21:18:52 pm »
My son is four months old and I find the only time i can pump out excess milk is when I have given him a bottle for a feeding! Is there any way to stimulate more milk to come so I can keep some breast milk frozen?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Pumping breast milk
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 00:28:06 am »
One thing you can try is to pump after a feed for at least 5 min, several times a day.  This way, you won't affect how much milk he's getting and the stimulation should increase your milk supply - it might take a few days though. Even if you don't get anything when you pump, keep it up for a few minutes ate least, so your breasts *think* you need the milk.  :wink: If you want to add all this dribbles of milk together, you're supposed to let it cool in the fridge before adding it to the rest of the milk you've pumped (not sure why!) - but you can keep accumulating all day and then freeze it.

You can also pump once a day to increase your supply.  I always find I have the most milk in the morning, so I pump about an hour after her morning feed for at least 10-15 min, no matter what I get.  I found that doing this for about 3 or 4 days, my milk started to increase for that pumping.

HTH!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha