Author Topic: Tummy sleepers???  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: August 15, 2005, 20:28:32 pm »
I think that the sleep positioner is waking my DD up when she wakes in the night.  She is perfecting rolling onto her stomach (can't get back onto her back yet  :?)  She is doing crib gymnastics all night long and is even needing me to come in and flip her back onto her back :roll: !!  Is is OK for her to sleep on her stomach at this age (5 months)?  If not how do I keep her from flipping?  We did the swaddling and she was consistently kicking out of the blankets and I became worried about it getting into her face.   
What do your lo's do?????
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline sissy16

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Tummy sleepers???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 20:35:42 pm »
Hi, my lo has slept on his front since he was about 5 1/2 months, he started to roll onto his front and then cry as he couldn't get back onto his stomach. After a few nights of turning him back loads of times before he went to sleep I decided enough was enough and one night stayed behind him where he couldn't see him and patted his back to reassure him he was ok. Anyway, he slept on his front then and does so for the majority of the time now. I also have to add he now sleeps much better both at night and for naps when on his front. Hope this helps.

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 20:40:12 pm »
My ds started rolling over around 4 months or so, although I kept putting him to sleep on his back.  He slept on a sleep positioner.  Now he's 6 months, and I still put him to sleep on his back, but he pretty much rolls over to his tummy after I lay him down.  And he completely rolls off his sleep positioner.  So, I'm weaning him off of that completely.  I've taken off one of the "sides", and am about to take off the other.  He doesn't stay on it anyway, but I was using it for the incline more than anything at this point.  I would like to get rid of it.

As long as your lo can roll over each way, I wouldn't worry about them sleeping on their tummy.  We had about a week where ds would get very mad when he couldn't flip back over to his back.  Then he figured out he could sleep on his tummy, and that's his preferred method now.

Oh, we also swaddled, but with his flipping, he completely came out of it every night.  So, no more nighttime swaddling.  And I'm weaning him off the daytime swaddle too.

HTH!

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 01:50:00 am »
My dd will flip to her stomach but will not settle to go to sleep.  She just screams.  This seems to be getting worse as the week goes on... :?   How do you make them feel comfortable on their stomach to lay down and sleep????
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 02:00:07 am »
Well, I don't know if anything we did "helped" him figure out that he could sleep on his tummy or not!  I tried holding his head down (to the side off course) to the mattress, and gave him his paci, and then with the other hand, patted his back pretty firmly.  He resisted quite a bit, trying to raise his head, etc., but I just pushed back.  I know that sounds mean, but I didn't know what else to do!  I needed him to figure out he could put that head down!   :?  He would eventually relax some, but sometimes it took quite a few minutes of him fighting me!

Also, I would let him squirm and wiggle on his tummy, and he would complain, but I wouldn't go back in unless it was an all out wail for a few minutes.  Because he makes a lot of complaining noises that aren't all out crying, so I had to learn to not rush in, but it was hard! 

Hang in there - I know it's so hard to deal with!  Especially with them screaming, and you're thinking "just put your head down and go to sleep!"  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: .  At least I was!   :D