Author Topic: feeding from both sides?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline NatalyaW

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/h/hopeelizabeth/
feeding from both sides?
« on: August 15, 2005, 21:33:44 pm »
My 8-week-old has started bobbing on and off about 20 minutes into a feeding. If I assume she's done and end the feeding, about 20 minutes later she starts acting hungry again. Is it okay to feed her from both breasts in one feeding?

Offline sfmama

• Showing Appreciation 0
feeding from both sides?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 02:23:02 am »
Absolutely! I have been feeding from both sides, switching when my son bops off (but no sooner than 10 min, so he gets hind milk from the first side). For the most part, I've fed him 12-15 min on the first side and about 10 min on the second, although as he got older he got more efficient. FYI, he is gaining weight and moving up in percentile terms, so it must be working for us.
Aneta

*** live and learn ***

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
feeding from both sides?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 14:39:03 pm »
You might also try doing breast compression on the first side as he starts to slow down - it can increase the flow and make her more interested to take more from the first side! This can really help ensure she's getting more hindmilk.  But I always offer the second side too - if she's not hungry, she won't take it. And you'll definitely notice the speed of her feedings increasing - it's amazing how efficient they get around 8 weeks and onwards!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
feeding from both sides?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 18:06:37 pm »
I still do breast compressions as my dd is so quick these days it seems and I really want her to get to the hind milk (previous issues with that).  I would also suggest to try putting her back on the same side.  If she's still frustrated with it, then go to the second.  Just an idea. :)
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline NatalyaW

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/h/hopeelizabeth/
Thank you
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 21:48:14 pm »
Thanks to all of you who answered! Of course, now I'm having other issues in that she wants to eat for an hour and does the lazy, slack-jawed thing instead of bopping on and off.  :roll: