Author Topic: slow flow is not really flowing slow  (Read 1766 times)

Offline stopjo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 16, 2005, 00:56:05 am »
I am having trouble feeding with the bottle.  I have tried different nipples so far and everything is too fast and he has milk all over him.  It's too frustrating because, I am trying to take it off his mouth and checking the nipple and the cap. 

I have so far tried, munchkin tri-flow, avent #2, Nuk (slow flow), Gerber with no luck.  Anyone has this problem.

Is there something wrong with the nipple or am I doing something wrong?  When I tried dripping the water from the nipple, it looks like it's slow.  But when I put it in ds's mouth, the milk spills all over.  I feel like it's flowing too much and he finishes off 3 oz in 5-10 minutes.  I tilt the bottle 30-40 degrees while feeding.

He had latching problem initially so I am pumping and feeding him.

Thank you
Jo

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
slow flow is not really flowing slow
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 14:48:59 pm »
I've never had the problems you're experiencing with the slow flows being too fast.

But I have always used the Playtex nursers.  Have you tried any Playtex nipples?

I honestly don't know what else to tell you!  Sorry! :oops:
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 00:39:08 am »
Hello!
How long are you trying each one for?  Sometimes it will take a few days for your little one to adjust to it  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

FrasersMum

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 00:54:48 am »
We had similar problems with my DS - he has reflux and was exclusively BF until about 12 weeks when we started him on the bottle (and we HAD to make it work because I was starting back at work!)

He would only take Avent #1 (newborn) up until about 4 months when he decided he would take Avent #2 (1 month).  We are not going to push ahead from there, he takes a while to get through his bottle but it seems to work well for him, at least for now.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be!

Offline kq

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Auckland, NZ
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 01:12:20 am »
We had that same problem with Avent and Nuk. We now use the Tommee Tippee variflo which only gives a squirt of milk when ds sucks or chews on it. He seemed to cope so much better.
Good luck!
Karen
Karen