Author Topic: 45min naps? what 45 min naps?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
45min naps? what 45 min naps?
« on: August 16, 2005, 22:05:40 pm »
hi everyone,

my ds just turned 4 months old and i'm proud to say that we've finally beat the 45 min naps! he started doing them as early as 6 wks old and i tried EVERYTHING. for a while the swaddle and pat shush worked, but he got older and wiser and nothing seemed to work - paci, variation of pu/pd, white noise, singing, humming, i mean nothing.

then one day his morning nap lengthened, then his others followed. now he takes a 2hr morning nap, 1 hr afternoon, and 1-1.5 evening. talk about miracles.

it helped that i moved him to a 4hr easy and lengthened his awake time. **also, if you are breasfteeding exclusively, i can't stress enough to PLEASE EAT WELL. there was a period where it was a vicious cycle for us - he wouldn't nap well so i couldn't eat, when i didn't eat he didn't nap well. once i went to 4hr easy and forced myself to eat a good 4-5 meals a day, it was MUCH better. now he's rolling so that's a whole other issue but overall i have my sanity back.

he does also like his paci but it's not a problem. since he feeds less i notice he has the urge to suck more.

so hang in there whoever's reading this and don't give up on BW techniques. they work, and you'll eventually be able to put your lo down for sleep and walk away  :D
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 22:18:14 pm »
Quote (selected)
**also, if you are breasfteeding exclusively, i can't stress enough to PLEASE EAT WELL. there was a period where it was a vicious cycle for us - he wouldn't nap well so i couldn't eat, when i didn't eat he didn't nap well.

YES YES YES - we were in this cycle too. I totally wasn't looking after myself - showering / eating / sleep / etc. Charlie therefore wasn't getting enough nutrients & was also picking up on my miserableness (that's not even a word - Mummy brain  :oops:  :lol: ). Once we got that sorted, he started to nap well, and we're pretty OK now - fingers crossed!

Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline kyemickaj

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 06:38:03 am »
Thanks ladies...  This may be my problem!

I am having trouble with my 7 week old catnapping at the moment and find I am only getting to eat a snack in the afternoon and then dinner as I am so busy trying to get him to settle.  This may well be why he is so grumpy in the afternoons and not sleeping for longer periods.  I will now make sure that I make time to eat well!
Kylie
Mummy to AJ born 30/06/05

Offline vinniej

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Are short naps always bad
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 10:41:34 am »
:?: My dd always takes about 45 min naps, three of them through the day, but she seems ok on this and is not irritable? She also sleeps well at night going from 7 until 6.30 with two feeds (at 10 and 3). So does it matter that her nap times are short or does this sound ok?

I am going to try making sure I eat and sleep well as i am doing neither very well - one of the problems with a baby that takes short naps.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 14:33:15 pm »
Quote (selected)
My dd always takes about 45 min naps, three of them through the day, but she seems ok on this and is not irritable?

Vinniej - If she seems fine on this, I wouldn't worry, although longer naps are more helpful for Mum to get some sleep & food! She's sleeping really well at night (where is the envy emoticon? :D ), so I wouldn't try to fix what ain't broke! How old is she?

Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 15:32:05 pm »
kyemickaj - get food into your system however you can! i realized by the time i ate a good solid meal (dinner), ds had already gone to sleep, so it didn't help him any.

vinniej, i agree with caroline. if your lo seems happy and content it should be ok. if you're having trouble getting them down for a nap though, your lo may be overtired and you may need to extend the naps.
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05