Author Topic: Swaddle for larger babies  (Read 1605 times)

Offline lkt

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 17, 2005, 08:16:45 am »
My baby is now over 11 lb and still needs swaddling to help him sleep. I've tried him in a GroBag but his arms still flail around and wake him up. We have been using a purpose made swaddle blanket with velcro (Kiddopotamus) but now he is strong enough to wriggle out of it. Does anyone have any idea where I might buy a larger version (I live in the UK) or have any other suggestions for how to keep a stronger Spirited baby swaddled?

Thanks
Lou
Lou
Essex, UK

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
Swaddle for larger babies
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 08:34:37 am »
You need a big cot blanket or in this weather, a sheet.

The more fabric you have the more you can wrap around.  Make sure when you do the first wrap that you tuck the end right round the bottom and then bring the other side across and do the same.
Jenny

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 08:34:47 am »
You need a big cot blanket or in this weather, a sheet.

The more fabric you have the more you can wrap around.  Make sure when you do the first wrap that you tuck the end right round the bottom and then bring the other side across and do the same.
Jenny

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:03:57 am »
I am the queen of dealing with big babies (both my ds have reached 17lb by 3 months)
Ds # 2 who is 17lb & not quite 3 months (10lb 4oz born) is still swaddled. I use a cot sheet or 1 mitre x 1 mitre muslin square.
I fold one corner down & place his neck where the fold is, tuck his hands under the folded bit ( he sucks his fands) up near his face. then I take one corner & wrap it over, then wrap the other side over, then fold the bottom un & then tuck under... i used to wrap a second one around him, but didn't include the hand wrapping, but I'm gradually weaning him off the wrapping. This is a variation of the Aussie Swaddle ( see announcement at the top of this forum)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05