Author Topic: Pat/Shush--Is it a prop??  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Auvan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Pat/Shush--Is it a prop??
« on: August 17, 2005, 11:04:48 am »
I have a question.  I have been using the pat/shush method with my baby for over a month now.  Does there come a time when they will go to sleep without me patting and shushing?  It is very time consuming, especially with two year old.

It seems like it has just become another prop such as nursing to sleep, rocking to sleep, etc.  She won't go to sleep unless I am doing it and it takes forever.

Offline Auvan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 11:33:51 am »
Sorry everyone.  I realize after reading this that some may think it rude.  I really was not trying to be rude.  I am just sleep deprived!!

I am also just frustrated.  My first baby was a NON sleeper.  He didn't sleep for longer than a two hour stretch until he was over six months old and never slept through the night until over a year.  So, I was determined to teach this new baby to sleep. 

Now, I am having these sleep problems.  And it is so hard when I talk to other parents who have babies the same age and they are already sleeping mostly through the night.  It just feels so unfair because I have been trying to "train" my baby to sleep since she was born and now she won't even sleep four hours straight at night.  It is so frustrating!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 21:32:22 pm »
hi there,

i feel your pain!! i had to work so much harder to sleep-train #2 - so much harder with a 2 year old running around.

it took about 6 weeks before i saw any real effects on extending his naps & independent soothing.  he was about 16 weeks old when it really started to take effect, and has been improving ever since.

so, to answer your question, yes, it will get better - just keep up all the hard work!

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy