Author Topic: how do you warm solids  (Read 1800 times)

Offline thitz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
how do you warm solids
« on: August 17, 2005, 13:06:23 pm »
Hello,

I've just started giving solids and I'm not sure the best way to warm it up a little.  Right now I'm feeding rice cereal and a cubes of vegs.

Any suggestions?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
how do you warm solids
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 13:21:37 pm »
I know it's not really recommended, but I use the microwave - MUCH easier than anything else!  I do it for a short period of time (might not even be totally defrosted when I take it out) and really really stir, checking with my finger before giving her anything.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline carolyn

• Showing Appreciation 67
how do you warm solids
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 13:22:41 pm »
I lwould et the cubes thaw in the fridge and then warmed them in the microwave to lukewarm or basically room temp.  I put them in the m-wave on half power for about 10 seconds, and then 5 second increments if they weren't quite warm.

You can also put th cubes in a bottle warmer
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Showing Appreciation 81
how do you warm solids
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 14:22:24 pm »
When I use the ice cubed food for DS I use the microwave too.  It's just soo much easier than letting it thaw, and possibly become contaminated with something else.  I usually feed him 2 of whatever he's having, and put it in the microwave for 45 sec to a minute.  Then I break it up and see if it needs further warming, which it usually does.

Fruits in the jar I do not warm at all.  DS likes them room temp or cold.  The jarred single veggies I gave him room temp and cold too, but he doesn't like them anymore.

HTH
Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
how do you warm solids
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 18:22:52 pm »
If I'm serving a new jar from the cabinet, I serve at room temp.  If serving from the fridge, I warm fruits in the microwave 5-10 seconds just to take a bit of chill off, and veggies slightly more becuase I know that I would like them warm instead of cold.  But I, too, stir vigorously and test with my finger.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline shines

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how do you warm solids
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 23:55:33 pm »
I put foods I've made from the freezer in the fridge the night before to thaw.  I then heat a pot of water to boiling - and let my jars sit in it for a little while.  It surprisingly doesn't take long; lo usually snacks on a finger food while the main dish is warming.  I'm kinda weird about microwaves.  Don't like the potential risk of the radiatioin waves in the food (especially if in plastic tupperware - microwaving plastics just doesn't seem right; glass seems much better).  If I have food in a plastic container, it floats pretty well in the warmed water (I don't put the container of food in the pot while the stove is turned on; don't want to risk melting) - again - I think glass is much better.  I've been recycling store-bought jars and using them to store/freeze home made foods.  Geez -didn't know I had so much to say on this....  Oh - and for hot cereal - I usually heat up water, put a little in the cereal - and if it needs cooling - add cool water.
Shawn
Mama to Camryn Shea (Touchy/Spirited Gem)
and Dustin Thomas (Textbook Sweety)

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
how do you warm solids
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 23:57:49 pm »
I use the microwave too. I pull out her food in the evening from the freezer and put it into little bowls with lids so it mainly thaws overnight in the fridge. Then before feeds I warm it a bit in the microwave. Sometimes if it's fruit I just serve it cold. Especially if she's teething. I also serve room temp if it's a jar from the cupboard.

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
how do you warm solids
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 12:33:51 pm »
Thanks everyone for your tips.  This morning I warmed up a cube of carrots for 10secs in the microwave that seemed safe and worked well.

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
how do you warm solids
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 13:45:39 pm »
I try to avoid the microwave when possible...I use it when I don't have a lot of time.  Otherwise I also let the jars/containers sit in hot water until warm.   :D

...fruits are served room temp or from the fridge, I only warm the veggies

....I use hot water for the cereal, so by the time it's mixed up it's warm.
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
how do you warm solids
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 13:53:18 pm »
Quote (selected)
I know it's not really recommended, but I use the microwave

I think this is just the manufacturers being over-cautious. The reason is that the microwave does not heat the food consistently - it creates 'hot-spots' that can burn the mouth. If you stir very well, and check the food before giving it to lo, it should be fine.

(I think the warnings are for people who aren't very bright, but are likely to sue when it goes wrong, i.e. 'Contents may be hot' on a McDonalds coffee cup - I should hope so too, I'd complain if they weren't!! :roll:  :lol: )

Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline shines

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how do you warm solids
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 17:52:08 pm »
The other concern about microwaves, which is my main concern, is the whole chemicals from plastics issue.  It's controvercial, and I was never concerned until I had my lo.  (In fact, I still warm leftovers in "microwwave safe" tupperware at work for myself - though less and less).  The issue is that when plastics are warmed in the microwave, the chemicals from the plastics can leach into the food.  Because manufacturers sell "microwave safe" plastic containers, the FDA has approved them -- but this just means that what they consider a "safe" amount of chemicals in the food is okay.  It's kinda like how we're allowed to pollute the waterways to a point.  Your allowed a certain amount of fecal coliform in the streams, for example -- but I don't want ANY in there.  Anyway, don't mean to start up a debate -- but wanted to share my concern.  I have not done much research on this at all....
Shawn
Mama to Camryn Shea (Touchy/Spirited Gem)
and Dustin Thomas (Textbook Sweety)