Author Topic: crying before sleep  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
crying before sleep
« on: August 17, 2005, 18:01:39 pm »
This could also go on the Night time board as well since dd does the same thing before her night time sleep but I thought I would start here.

DD is 9 weeks old. She has been on EASY since 2 weeks old.  Her nights are wonderful (once we get her to sleep) 8pm'ish (df at 10pm'is) and sleeps through until 7am'ish. She takes a quick feed and goes back to sleep until I wake her around 10am. This seems all ok, maybe a little too long but she is still tired and falls right back to sleep during her morning feed. After I wake her at 10am our day is pretty inconsistant. She seems to have a bit of a pattern in the sense that she eats and goes back down for a 45 minute nap in the morning. The problem is, she's screams before every nap. Am I missing her window or taking her in too soon. It doesn't seem right that she needs to cry and scream for up to 1/2 hour before she falls asleep. Even if I'm holding her she screams. Before bed it can be up to two hours before she finally gives in. Dh and I tag team until she finally falls asleep from exhaustion. Something is not right but we can't figure it out. When I do pat/shhh she screams even louder. Am I doing something wrong?
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline lins

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
crying before sleep
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 18:41:05 pm »
My baby does the same thing - i'm glad we're not the only ones.  i think he's just not mature enough to fall asleep - we're trying to persist with pat shhh but i can't say it has made much difference so far - the only thing that keeps me going is that everyone says they grow out of it eventually.

Sorry that's not much help!

lins xxx

Gigismom

crying before sleep
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 23:25:05 pm »
mine cried before every nap too until about 3 months.  it WILL stop.  hang in there.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
crying before sleep
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 23:37:57 pm »
My dd cries, but it's a mantra cry.  She does it for a short time, and it seems to be part of her winddown.  But something that does help sometimes is the routine.  I slowed down her winddown routine.  Mainly she starts fussing when I start to swaddle her.  So instead of laying her down and swaddling her, I lay her on the blanket and talk to her a little bit.  Smile, let her get used to what's going to happen.  Then I slowly swaddle her, and if she starts to get fussy, I reassure and stop what I'm doing for a second and let her get used to it.  It has helped a bit.  She still fusses a bit, but it's better then before.