Author Topic: PU/PD or pat/shush????  (Read 1179 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
PU/PD or pat/shush????
« on: August 17, 2005, 19:52:56 pm »
I have a 10 week old son that I cannot get to go to sleep on his own unless I am holding him or he is in the swing. I have tried gradually putting him in the cradle partially awake and he wakes right up and rarely will go back to sleep. If I wait 10-15 minutes after he is asleep and put him down sound asleep he does fine (until he wakes 30-45 minutes later, but that is another issue!). I have tried pat/shush alot and usual end up getting an incredibly overtired and cranky and screaming baby that hasn't napped in 2-3 hours.
I am finding he can go about an hour between naps and that he gets overtired easy. He also uses a paci to go to sleep and spits it out shortly after getting into a deep sleep. When I can catch him before he wakes completly and get him back to sleep (usually with just a hand on his chest) he doesn't need the paci to go back to sleep and never uses it at night except to fall asleep intially.
I feel like I am getting nowhere with the pat/shush but is he too young for the PU/PD?
Any advice or suggestions would be wonderful.
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
PU/PD or pat/shush????
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 00:54:20 am »
What's happening is that he is starting to settle into sleep, the light sleep phase, and once you put him down during this phase, the weight of his body wakes him up. When he's in your arms, he feels weightless.

The key is to catch him before he enters the sleep phase, and to lie him down before it.  So, when he's looking drowsy, sucking away on his soother, but his eyes are open (you know that heavy, staring off into space look), that's when you gently lie him down.  Keep your hands on him, and shield his eyes from visual stimulation.  You will need to stay with him for the first 20 mins.. as newborns and young infants learning how to fall asleep, will wake up at the 10 min. mark and jolt at the 20 min. mark.

Take a look at Tracy's sleep interview at the top of the Nap board menu.  She discusses it. 

If pat shush is working for you, then continue to pat shush in the crib.. to be successful (and comfortable) with this, lower the crib rail down and stand up (or kneel) on a stool or chair. (I removed the crib rail and lowered the mattress as far as possible, so that I could kneel on the ground and be comfortable-- Brendan wasn't going any where.. he was tightly swaddled, side sleeping and had a sleep positioner on his belly and back! He wasn't moving!)  Swaddling is very important as it helps minimize the body jolts, which tend to wake up a newborn from falling into a deep sleep.  Keep working on it, if he wakes up at the 10 min. and 20 min. mark.. that's typical for a newborn learning how to fall asleep. He'll get used to these jolts/partial awakenings and learn how to continue to fall asleep past it.

It does take time.. so be patient.

Hope this helps!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
PU/PD or pat/shush????
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 01:21:15 am »