Author Topic: Not nursing as much now that she is on EASY schedule  (Read 1232 times)

Offline momto2sweetpeas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Not nursing as much now that she is on EASY schedule
« on: August 18, 2005, 00:08:06 am »
I can't seem to get my 7 1/2 month dd to nurse very much now that I have changed her schedule. Granted, we are only on day 3 and the routine has been extremely successful for our sleeping problems :D  but she doesn't want to nurse when she wakes up. If she does its only on one side and doesn;t seem to empty. When I feed her solids an hour later, no problem. Do you think once the schedule gets to be more the norm she will come around? Or do you think she wants to wean? Should I be offering a bottle? I don't really want to wean yet...but if she is ready I wouldn't fighjt it? Or should I nurse an hour later instead of solids?
Any advice would be appreciated...Thanks------

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 00:49:01 am »
There are a couple of possibilities that come to mind.  One is that she's just not hungry when she wakes up - how long is it between feeds?   She might also be more distracted when she wakes up and is less interested in eating - have you tried in a dark, quiet room?  I have to get my dd before she's really awake or forget it!  :roll: Sometimes if she really doesn't seem hungry when she first wakes, I wait a half hour and try again - I don't know how flexible you want to be with your EASY routine though...

I would keep offering her milk before solids, like you're doing - for the first year, most of her nutritional needs come from the milk anyway - solids are more for practice. She's not likely self-weaning at this age - more likely she's just getting used to the new routine and will settle in.  If you're not ready to wean, then I would avoid giving formula - it'll just decrease your milk supply.  Give it a few more days - sounds like you're doing great!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 01:00:48 am »
When did she used to nurse, at what point in your schedule?

Any change in schedule will take at least a week, but probably longer, for you to "retrain" her brain. Also, around 8 months, a lot of babies think they are so independent and want solids (especially finger foods) over milk. We just have to patiently keep offering. When a baby weans from the breast, it is more gradual, one nursing at a time, not sudden refusal.

I find that our nursing after naps go best if I immediately sit down to nurse before we even leave his room. I don't really talk to him before nursing, just pop him on. If we leave the room, or talk, he won't nurse. HTH
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline momto2sweetpeas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 01:24:57 am »
We were on the AES and sometimes Y schedule so I generally nursed her to sleep and she would wake and we would play so I am hoping that its just the schedule change that is throwing her off. Although not sure if she is getting enough to eat to make it through the night without nursing. Last night she woke up at 11 and I did 1 p/u p/d and back she went but awoke again at 12 and this repeated several times until I finally figureed she must need a little topping off and sure enough she nursed and went to sleep (on her own..YAAAHH) until 7:30 AM

Would you suggest keeping an evening nurse in there esp. since she goes down at 7:30?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 18:01:39 pm »
I have always nursed my kids before bed and did not have a problem with the whole getting back to sleep thing. (Max never nurses to sleep though, he just nurses, and then points at his crib to go to sleep  :roll: ) I think that extra top-off of calories is a good thing before bed.

Keep on doing what you are doing as far as EASY and see if she can get used to the change. Your other option is AEASY, where you nurse her in the middle of the routine, which works for some babies just fine. Just makes the "when do I give her solids" a little harder. I just fed my ds solids when I ate, so he got used to eating at our meal times.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies