Author Topic: Tips to Increase Supply  (Read 1274 times)

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« on: August 18, 2005, 16:11:25 pm »
I think my supply has been tapering off of late, particularly in the late afternoon / early evening.  In the past, I have pumped in between feedings to jumpstart things, but dd had been so fussy of late, I haven't had the opportunity except in the evening after she's goine to bed.

Dd is 7 mos, and about 3 weeks ago, we started on solids.  She gets 2-3TBS twice a day.  I'm guessing that's part of why my supply is fluctuating (that and stress, but that's another story).

I know there are several herbal remedies out there, but I have been reluctant to try anything medicinal up until now.  What techniques / remedies have all of you used to increase supply and with what side effects?
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 16:18:54 pm »
Oh yeah, dd nurses five times a day roughly evenly spaced between 6am and 7pm.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

annamum

Tips to Increase Supply
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 19:32:28 pm »
Hi,

Always increased nursing works the best to up your supply. Would your lo cooperate and have an additional nursing during the day? Or stay longer on your breast to suck for a little while? This are methods that will do no harm and will increase your supply. However, I know how little ones at this age are too busy to stay on the breast and will refuse it very often if not hungry. Also, are you feeding her solids before or after nursing? If before, that can affect her apetite for milk and she may take less and less of it.

Next thing to try are herbs. Use herbs known for increasing milk supply such as Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, they are can be found in health food stores and they usually come in capsules. I tried Fenugreek tea, which is less potent than Fenugreek in capsules but it did work well for me as I haven't had serious problems with supply. This increased my supply very fast, within an hour I had a much stronger let-down. When it comes to feeling safe about taking herbs, I am pretty comfortable taking them, but I don't take any other drugs so I don't have a chance to have any drug interactions. Fenugreek shouldn't be taken if you are pregnant.

Also, some drugs are known to have a side effect that increases your supply. Such is Domperidone, you should ask your physician if she could prescribe it for you. But I think this is better if you have very serious problems with your supply.

Last but not least, you should be drinking water, it really has an impact on your milk supply. It is a good idea to drink before nursing. Your supply will go down if you are stressed, tired, menstruating, pregnant or you don't eat well.

Hope this helps,

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
Tips to Increase Supply
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 20:29:12 pm »
The only other thing to be concerned about with Fenugreek is if you're diabetic - it can lower blood sugar.

Some people have also found it helpful to pump for about 5 min after every feed, if you can't convince your baby to help out with that :wink: .
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline tooxlent

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.disalvio.com
On the way to get fenegu
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 17:53:31 pm »
Additional reports to follow...
Leia's dad

Angel baby
1/27/05