Author Topic: transitioning to 1 nap???  (Read 1436 times)

Offline bobby's mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • Boca Raton, FL USA
    • My Expanding Life Blog
transitioning to 1 nap???
« on: August 18, 2005, 19:14:40 pm »
How do I do it?  Bobby and Liam share a room and there is really no other place I could put him.  I would like to see him take one 3 hour nap at 1pm.  Bobby takes his nap at 2pm and sleeps for 2 hours.  That way I could have some time to myself. 

He old schedule is:
wake 7-7:30am
nap 10:30am
nap 2:30pm
bed 7:30-8pm

He does pretty well awake until 12:30 but then he wakes at about 2pm and I don't know how to extend his nap w/o interrupting Bobby's sleep.

Please any advice welcome.
Lisa ~~~~ 
Mama to:

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 01:55:16 am »
What about pulling the later nap time back and putting them down at the same time?  You may have to manipulate the older son's schedule (earlier morning wake up if he's waking later than your younger son).
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline bobby's mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • Boca Raton, FL USA
    • My Expanding Life Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 12:33:08 pm »
They don't do well going down at the same time.  They just play and Bobby hops in Liam's crib and they never sleep.  They already wake up at the same time in the morning.  Whatever one wakes first wakes the other.  With about a 30 min lapse in pd times it seems to work though, gives them enough time to really fall asleep b/f the other goes in and makes little noises to settle themselves. 

Yesterday I was out and Liam fell asleep in the car at 12:30 and didn't wake when I brought him in so I put him to bed.  He woke at 1:30!  So I put Bobby down at 2:30- a little late  :oops: - and tried to put Liam down at 3:15.  Liam talked to himself and woke up Bobby at 3:30 and niether of them would sleep after that.  Bobby got up and left the room and Liam was hysterical.  I couldn't calm him down.  No nap for him.  They were both pills the rest of the day. 

I wonder if I should just stick w/ my original schedule until he just won't do it anymore?  The only thing is that if I go out it totally throws it off and I'm not about to become a hermit.  :lol:
Lisa ~~~~ 
Mama to:

Offline Mommy Moo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 15:26:57 pm »
I'm having the same problem with my son who is relatively the same age.  He also has two naps each day, first one around 10:30 and second around 3:00.  Each nap is around 1 hour each.  I'm hoping that one nap will help his nighttime sleep since he's still getting up every night :x

For a little while, I tried just keeping him up and putting him down for his nap around 12:30 in hopes of having one big nap but he still only slept for an hour so he still needed another nap later.  :? 

So I'm also very interested in a solution to this problem.
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 19:50:30 pm »
You know.. I was sitting here thinking about his nap..

Since he's transitioning from two naps to one, does he cry out at the 90 min. mark of his day sleep?

I went through this with Matthew, when we went to 1 nap, and he would cry out at 90 mins. I would either hold back and give him a chance to resettle, or I would just stroke his head (always calmed him) and he would reenter sleep. It didn't last long.. I would say about 2 weeks for the whole transition. Sometimes he would cry out briefly, but it would be a second or two, after the transition was completed.

Temporarily, can Bobby take his nap in your room, until Liam has become accustomed to the one nap?  You may have to set limits if he's a little rowdy in your room, but it's only temporary..

Sorry if I'm not much help with this one :oops:
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004