SLEEP > Sleeping For Toddlers

going from 2 naps to one

(1/1)

kim&savannah:
Do they lengthen their one nap first and then drop the second one, or do you have to just drop it and then hope that they start to sleep longer for the one nap? 

We're all mixed up here, but this is the third day in the last week that dd has refused to take an afternoon nap, but her morning one is still less than 1.5 hours. 

I HATE switching to a new schedule!!!!!

~Kim

Riverside6903:
Do they lengthen their one nap first and then drop the second one, or do you have to just drop it and then hope that they start to sleep longer for the one nap?

We're all mixed up here, but this is the third day in the last week that dd has refused to take an afternoon nap, but her morning one is still less than 1.5 hours.

Hello there:

The best thing you can do is just watch for her sleep cues.  Is she playing with her ears?  Rubbing her nose, stares at nothing?  Yawning is an indication that she is well on her way to being overtired.  It could definitely be that she is ready for one nap.  My daughter just stayed awake longer and then took her nap later.  She stopped going down at the usual 9:30-10am time and then started taking one nap around 11am and sleeping till 1:30or 2pm.  Can you please tell me what her schedule is like during the day?  What time she goes to bed and wakes up in the morning and so forth?

Maximum:
Hello there!
 Yes the 2-1 nap transition is confusing and I have found every child goes through it differently. My son, who is now 2.5, started refusing his second nap...his first nap was pretty set about 3 hours after wake-up time but at about 14 months, he went 3 days with no afternoon nap. So he then went to bed earlier. But on day 4, wham, he started napping again in the p.m and continued that until he was 16 months old. Then one morning, he started waking up later in the a.m, which of course pushed his schedule back and we tried one nap--worked well for a few weeks but then reverted back to an early wake-up and we went back to 2 naps again.

SO, he waffled back and forth for a good 2-3 months until we fully transitioned him to one nap at 18 months. He has always had tendancies for larking and so would nap early (10:00/11:00) and then for only 1.5 hours but as his body slowly adjusted to one nap, his nap slowly lengthened and moved closer to noon/1pm...it does take time, especially if your child is prone to getting overtired and waking early...

I have plenty of friends whose babies stopped napping in the a.m. so that was their clue it was time to go to one nap, other friends whose babies started taking mongo morning naps, etc. Best you can do is go with the flow and read your child's cues as much as possible!

HTH

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version