Author Topic: All the things I can't eat...BIG MOAN!  (Read 4293 times)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
All the things I can't eat...BIG MOAN!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 00:45:53 am »
Depending on how "careful" you need to be, Newmans Own sells a dairy free dark chocolate candy bar that is fantastic. They even sold these at my regular grocery store. Rice Dream has several "chocolate" (actually milk free cocoa type chocolate) "ice creams" They are super!

Most foods say "processed in plant that also processes nuts" Do you have to be so strict not to eat those? If not, I may be able to help you more...
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline ckwilder

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 23:39:06 pm »
I have all the exact same issues....except my daughter is actually allergic to cow's milk/soy proteins and has bloody stools if I eat either of those foods....she breaks out in a rash if I have strawberries, oranges, or tomatoes....almost everything gives her the toots...I am eating chicken, fish, almonds, rice milk, oatmeal, and squash/carrots....pretty boring....the diet is worth it though...I just look at her expression when I breastfeed and know it is all worth it!!!

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 00:38:40 am »
Hi "ckwilder"

Please check out our allergy forum if you have not already. There is a MSPI message at the top of the forum that maybe can help you, or maybe you can add more info to it.

I was on the MSP-free diet for 12 months with my son, 12 months of no milk protein with my daughter. Let me know if I can help at all.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Onewoman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2005, 08:47:04 am »
Thought I would catch up with all the deprived Mums  :D I'm still waiting to see the dietician :shock: I think while I'm waiting I'm going to get myself some calcium suplements. I don't think I can be having enough with the little bit of enriched soya milk I have and a few sesame seeds.

I have discovered a couple of other things that are no-nos. Red food dye- cochineal - the one made from crushed beetles (apparently banned in the U.S.). It made Ruby so hyper; it took me a while to work out what was doing it, but she is usually quite placid so I knew something was up. After talking to my health visitor she said it was the second worst additive after yellow. Also, I was stressing about my milk supply so I got some fenugreek. What I didn't know was that it comes from the nut family and Ruby reacted quite badly to it. It's so strange to me that she has all these sensitivities as I am allergic to nothing, neither is my partner or my other daughter. I do hope she grows out of it.

I've tried some of the things on the no list again and sweetcorn seems ok - I think you may have been right GraceKellysMum - it was probably the butter I had on it. Had a bit of cheese, then really wished I hadn't - we had 3 days of hell. Unfortunately it was the same week I had fenugreek, so we actually had 7 hellish days altogether  :cry: .

One good thing has been to find the "Free From" range in Tesco. I actually had treacle pudding and (soya) custard - wow - it was heavenly!! I can eat feta cheese as it is made from goats milk so that is a bonus, and goats milk is ok for us too.

Does anyone know if you can cook with soya milk like you would cows milk?

Maybe we could swap some ideas for things we can eat?
Susana xx
Mum to Ruby Rose (Spirited, Touchy)
& Ella Joy 4/10/92 (Teenage and hormonal)

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2005, 19:48:43 pm »
I cook with Soy milk and Rice milk just like cows milk. Some recipes it makes a difference and some it does not. The brand of Soy milk I have here is Silk - it has as much calcium as cows milk. I also still take my prenatal vitamins with an extra calcium supplement.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2005, 20:33:14 pm »
Is all feta cheese made with Goat milk? I absolutely love it and miss it dearly. Dd is super sensitive though and gets bloody stools just shortly after testing so even if it's made with Goat milk is it worth risking?
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 20:37:28 pm »
Try an ingredient list to make sure it doesn't have cows milk or soy added in flavoring. I've read that goats milk doesn't cause issues for many MSPI-ers. The proteins in goats milk are the most similar to breastmilk proteins.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Onewoman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2005, 07:46:30 am »
I read a few days ago that babies with MSPI have about 20% chance of being allergic/intolerant to goats milk/products. That is pretty good odds! Maybe you could have a tiny bit and see what happens.

Thanks for the info about cooking with soya/rice milk GKM. I will give it a go. The reason I asked was because I put some in a cup of decaf coffee and it went all bitty and sludgy.....YUK!
Susana xx
Mum to Ruby Rose (Spirited, Touchy)
& Ella Joy 4/10/92 (Teenage and hormonal)

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2005, 18:27:47 pm »
I think I read somewhere that rice milk and soy milk have lower temperature threshholds than cows milk. They won't make great cream sauces or cook well over high heat. But they do just fine for baking most things and scrambled eggs, pancakes, etc.

Silk makes a creamer for coffee I think.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2005, 19:05:58 pm »
I checked on Feta cheese at our local grocery store and it is made with cow's milk. Does a person need to go to health store to find some made from Goat's Milk or should I just keep looking (our city has a ton-o-stores :roll: ). TIA.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline sonias

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2005, 21:38:23 pm »
Hey susana xx...

Nice to know I'm not the only one. My diet is similar to your + few more add on's. Also my little queen is a very light sleeper , so I've to hold her while she sleeps  :roll: . I haven't seen sunset for last 5 mths.
Fortunately , I can have  tea.....Thank God, for small mercies  :wink:

SaRainaa's mom
sonia :-)

Offline Williamsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 04:00:51 am »
I just found some ice cream sandwiches made with tofu & soy.  Won't help the MSP, but for those who can eat soy, they're great.  DH even liked them & he's the pickiest darn eater!  The brand name is Tofutti.  I found them in the organic section of our grocery store.  They actually taste like the real ones.  I wasn't a big fan of the soy ice cream (at least the vanilla kind I tried), but these really took care of both my ice cream and my chocolate craving.  Now, if I could just find some pizza!

Sarah

Offline sally & savannah

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 21:01:23 pm »
Hi

Just found this topic after doing a search.  Baby Savannah is 15 wks old today and suffers terribly from bouts of trapped wind.  She pushes and pushes goes bright red  :oops: then farts really loud and screams loud!!!! sometimes it'll wake her out of what should be a long peaceful sleep.

Doctors have advised boiled water but she refuses a bottle, sees to only come in the afternoons poor wee soul! 

After reading this post think i might start excluding dairy products fizzy drinks chineses and indian food :(  as i must admitt i have just been carrying on as normal.  Hadn't really put two and two together?!?! any other suggestions?? Thinking about trying her with a little rice but am absolutly terrified by the prospect!!!

Hope i can get some advise for my windy bubs :P !! ( have just started to use infacol as well)

Thanks in advance
sallyx

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2005, 21:29:19 pm »
Just wanted to say that I have been there too and it is the WORST, but soo worth it if it gives baby some relief.  I had to eliminate dairy (including whey and casein), soy (which is in almost everything), acidic fruits, gassy veggies, eggs, chocolate, nuts, and corn.  I ate tons of white rice and turkey, and drank rice milk.  Do you have a health food store nearby?  They had a lot more options than a regular supermarket...

Good luck!  You are such a good mom (although if it gets to hard and you can't BF, you are a good mom too  :wink: ).
Sheila
ng

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2005, 00:42:56 am »
Hi Sally,

I wouldn't start the rice cereal - that will make things worse.

Some babies are just really windy. Are you burping her during and after the feeds?
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies