Author Topic: Napping times for a 9 week old  (Read 1178 times)

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Napping times for a 9 week old
« on: August 19, 2005, 11:07:14 am »
Can you tell me roughly what naps my 9 week old daughter should have.  Basically her routine is

7.00am wake her
7.15am feed
9.00am sleep
9.45am wake
10.30am feed but crying for food at 10.00am
11.30/midday sleep
2.00pm wake
2.30pm feed
3.45/4.00pm sleep
4.45pm wake
5.00pm give her 1oz of water
5.30pm go up and get her ready for a bath
5.45pm bath, (she loves bathtime, screaming when I take her out)
6.15pm feed
6.40pm bedtime story
7.00pm sleep
10.30pm feed (I have to wake her for this)
2.30am feed
5.30am wake (so I have to put her on my chest so she will go to 7.00am)

I have been doing this for the past 3 weeks.  So she is basically having between 3.5 to 4 hours sleep during the day.   :)
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 18:36:51 pm »
Bascially, there's a sleep during each feed cycle-- generally a feed cycle is 3 hours, but also depends on your infants individual differences (ie. birthweight)

So, when she has her feed, keep an eye for her first sleepy cue (a yawn) and then start her wind down routine. For a newborn, keep awake times short, or you're going to overtire and overstimulate your infant, which can result in short naps (45 min. naps) and difficulties setting to sleep.  Newborns and young infants have a very short window of opportunity, in order to fall asleep with ease.  If she's yawned more than twice.. then her window is starting to close, her body will release cortisol  which is a stimulant hormone, and she will have a rough time settling to sleep, will be restless in her sleep and will wake up screaming after 45 mins (1 sleep cycle).

Most newborns/young infants will have a little cat nap after the 4 ish feed.. this is a short little nap, that will give her enough energy to get to bed time.  It's difficult for a newborn/young infant to go from 4 pm until bedtime of 7 pm.. usually it will result in multiple nightwakings and difficulty settling into sleep.  Also, it will show in her behaviour as her bedtime approaches.. if she hasn't had a brief rest to recharge, she will have episodes of screaming and crying, and fussy periods. The late afternoon short nap, won't interfere with a 7 pm bedtime.. it will make the bedtime better and more enjoyable for both of you.

Hope this helps!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 06:56:37 am »
Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated