Author Topic: help with 45 minute naps!  (Read 1323 times)

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 19, 2005, 16:27:15 pm »
My DD (12 weeks old) has been doing the 45 minutes or less naps now for over two weeks.  I know this is becoming a habit because she used to sleep 1.5-3 hours for naps.  I would hear her sometimes wake up when transitioning and put herself back to sleep. 

Yesterday I patted and sh'd her to try to get her back to sleep and she would look like she was going back to sleep and the paci would fall out.  Then she would squirm and wake up (each time getting more aggitated).  After the paci fell out she would open her mouth and arch her back.  I can't tell if she is hungry or wanting the paci.  When she takes the paci she chomps on it and keeps spitting it out getting more aggitated. 

It has been less than 2.5 hours usually so I don't think she is hungry or is she?

Also when do I stop patting?  In the book it says to stop as soon as they settle and on the site I read to keep doing it until they are in a deep sleep.  Which one is it?  Won't doing it until they are asleep make it a prop?

I just read another post of a baby doing this and someone said that they might be ready to extend the awake time.  Do you think this is why she is having short naps now?

Thank you.
Abigail born May 26, 2005

Offline rebecaq

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
help with 45 minute naps!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 16:49:47 pm »
I wrote in another post that my ds(8 weeks) barely naps anymore, just cat naps in the morning and early afternoon and then has a HORRIBLE fussy time from 5 to 7.  Basically I think he's just a very awake baby.

Does your dd fuss if you get her up from her nap?  Or is she fine with being awake?  At first I thought something was wrong with ds becuase he wasn't getting enough sleep, but turns out he's gaining weight and growing at a furious rate, so the ped and I aren't worried.  He's also sleeping very well at night, by 7:30 - 8 he's fast asleep until 3 a.m., feeds, and it's dreamland until 8 a.m.   Some babies just aren't "programmed" like most, which if she's not fussy is great for you because you can interact with her more, but it's also bad for you because she'll take up most of your day!! :lol:

I figured out when he was about 4 weeks that trying to be a textbook parent was driving me crazy.  I just decided to read ds's cues and make sure he's happy and content. 

The only thing I can warn you about is don't  try to feed her after a 45 min nap, wait until it's time on her EASY or she'll turn into a snacker.  :shock: and you really don't want that!!  Or the plan my ds is on which is EAEAEAEAEASY!!!! :lol: I kid....

I hope this helps a little bit..
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Gigismom

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 00:03:34 am »
hi
my dd was a good napper from birth to about 8 weeks.  then began our looooooooooong battle with 30-45 min naps.  but when she would wake, she was generally happy, so i couldn't really extendt hernaps.  so i just went with it.  i have done a TON of research on infant sleep, and at your lo's age, short naps can be normal.  just wait until about 6-8 months when the sleep center of the brain matures.   at 6 months, my dd started taking longer naps all on her own.they are usually 1.5 to 2 hours.
as for the feeding, i just fed her every time she woke from a nap.  to me, it was more important to keep the e-a-s order than to feed on certain times.  but you may decide otherwise.  whatever works for you!
i agree that you should not stress over everything your child does that doesn't fit into the textbook's description.  otherwise, you will stress to no end.  i read somewhere that children are like slow-cooking stews instead of "on-the-brink-of-disaster" souffles...you have time to make mistakes and correct them.  so try to just set up some sort of routine and follow it the best you can, but don't worry too much.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 01:47:10 am »
mommynow, I think the paci, might also be the problem, if she jerks awake when if falls out, she has come to need it in her mouth to get to the next stage of sleep which means you will probably have more sleep problems not less as she shows signs of being a baby who needs the paci as a prop. Now might be the time to try & get past needing it!

I discovered way to late my ds #1 was one of those babies, where as ds#2 only needs it occasionally if over stimulated & he spits it out before drifting off (ie when still awake but drowsy) & then goes off to sleep.
I did a 1/2day parenting workshop (1 on 1) the other day (mostly toddler stuff) but I did ask about the paci use for ds#2 & what I explained above is what she said... if he actually needs it to get off to sleep then wakes up when it falls out then that is the time to stop using it as it has become a prop!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05