Author Topic: OUCH!!!!! She is killing me....  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: August 19, 2005, 16:54:47 pm »
My DD is 5 months old and over the past week or so has been eating every 2-3 hours and every 4 hours at night.  For some reason, I am SOOO SORE!!  It feels like when she was a newborn and the pain when she latches on is amazing.  Then when she is feeding, the repetative movement is irritating.  To top it off she is biting down, pulling off and stretching back during her feeds!  It think she is teething (how do you know??).  I can feel some bumps on her gums that seem to be getting more jagged each day but I'm not really sure.  She is showing some symptoms of teething but don't know it they are just developmental.  Any advice on how to make it through this stage is appreciated....I am starting to dread the feedings. :(
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
OUCH!!!!! She is killing me....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 20:38:56 pm »
Might be a growth spurt if she's eating that frequently at 5 months, in which case your nipples are probably reacting mostly to the frequency. Also, babies start to get interested in the world aorunf 4-5 months, so while nursing they're looking around all over the place, and it's no bother to them to take your nipple along for the ride. OW!

Try nursing in a quiet dark room w/less to look at and see if it doesn't make a difference.

annamum

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 22:15:53 pm »
When they are teething, sometimes you can feel a sharp edge of a new tooth on your nipple, but then, you should be also able to feel it with your finger. What works, is changing nursing position, so it doesn't rub the same sore spot on your nipple.
Whether or not your lo is teething or having a growth spurt, this will pass.

Are you sure it is not thrush? Usually teething shouldn't make you so sore, unless the frequency of your nursings has increased a lot.

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 23:10:07 pm »
I am sure it isn't thrush (I use to work at a Dr's office where I diagnosed that !!)  It has been truly strange how much the frequency has increased (especially at night).  She used to go for at least one 6 hour stretch but now she wakes up every 4 hours exactly!  She is eating around every 2-3 hours during the day.  I can feel a roughness to her gumline but cannot see an edge yet, just two bumps.  Hopefully whatever is going on will reveal itself in the next couple of days (just curious, not frusterated!!)
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

annamum

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 00:16:34 am »
When my dd was getting a new tooth, I could only feel a sharp edge but couldn't see it. She was always more clingy during that period, woke up much more often and nursed more often. After the tooth erupted she was back to normal.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 00:37:35 am »
I have found with Max that he alters his latch when he is teething. Other words: his latch sucks.  :lol:  Sorry for the pun.  :lol:

Have you tried a little nipple cream in between feedings? Air drying?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 02:59:38 am »
Monika,
Thank you for sharing your experience.  It sounds like what we are going through.  She has been much more clingy and always wants to be held (can't say I mind much!  :wink: ).  Anyway, it is good to know that with any luck we will get back on track soon!
GraceKellysmom,
I had not been doing the cream (not sure why not?) and air drying may be a good idea too.  Thanks for the advice.  I think that she is latching different (closer to her gumline and not as deep into her mouth).  That is probably what the pain is from.

Thanks again Ladies, it is nice to know that others have had this happen. :)
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline opp2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 14:22:01 pm »
I posted here because I couldn't see a reason to start another thread. I have a similar problem, however it isn't from frequent nursing.

I'm hoping someone can Identify what this is. I have a small bump on the end of my nipple. It is white and gets whiter while feeding. I think it's a blister full of milk. It is about the size of a pin head and is quite sore. Does someone know what this might be, before I head to the doctors? It's been there for a few days now and it doesn't hurt inside the breast, only while nursing and while his tounge squeezes it.
kaitlin 06/06/02
thomas 21/03/05