Author Topic: accidental CIO possibly? did it hurt the bond?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline lovingabby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
accidental CIO possibly? did it hurt the bond?
« on: August 20, 2005, 02:02:12 am »
Hello,
I usually have the monitor near me on the bed so I can turn it off and not wake DH. However last night I accidentaly somehow turned it to where I could not hear anything and I think my LO, who is now 3 months, CIO.  She usually wakes around 2:30 - 3:30 and I awoke at 4:30 realizing I had not heard her and then realized the monitor was not where I could hear it. So I went in her room to check on her and she was moving a lot and then I felt near her eyes and felt wetnes so I figured she had been crying.

I felt horrible and just want to know if you think I broke the trust or our bond if she did CIO.

I usually keep her door open at night just in case something like this happens but we had guests staying in the room next door so I closed it.

Thanks,
Suzanne
Mom to Abigail - spirited, touchy, reflux baby

Offline kim&savannah

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 02:54:44 am »
Please don't worry about this--I know especially when they are that young that the idea of them crying themselves back to sleep seems awful, but I'm sure that your bond is fine, that dd is fine, and that this will not leave any impression on her at all.  Think about how many people used to do CIO, at even younger ages!  I know that most of our parents did something like that--it was normal back then--and I don't think our whole generation is messed up :)  And I know plenty of people who have done CIO with their lo's and honestly, they all seem fine--totally bonded, happy children who love their moms.

You're doing your best--that's all you can do.  Tracy doesn't even recommend using moniters at all so you will only hear them if they really cry--maybe your lo didn't even cry that much.    Keep up the good work--your daughter knows you are there for her and love her.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline chell

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 05:52:28 am »
Hi Suzanne, a similar thing happened to me - when I fell asleep because I was just so tired. I think that if it is not a regular occurence you'll be ok. Jacob is fine now, no bonding or trust issues.

Cheryl
An obedient soldier fights a fools war

[img=http://www.images/t4.gif=http://www.images/t4.gif]http://www.babywhis

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 14:53:28 pm »
I understand how you feel because something a bit like that happened to me once and I beat myself up about it for three days.  But, my little guy was just fine and I really don't think he could even remember it happening.  I was extra attentive for a few days but he was just fine.  And, he doesn't wake up hysterical either, he's happy as a clam when he wakes up from a nap or from nighttime.  So, don't be too hard on yourself, your little one will be just fine and knows that you love her.  :)
Asher Walter, 21 Feb 2005
mostly textbook with a tiny bit of touchy

Offline lovingabby

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 03:09:50 am »
Thanks to all. I feel better :-)  She does seem perfectly fine and happy. I also did not know about not using the monitor...somehow I missed that one.  Thanks for all your reassurance.
Suzanne
Mom to Abigail - spirited, touchy, reflux baby