Author Topic: DreamFeed & Medical Advice  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Maria Patterson

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 20, 2005, 20:00:42 pm »
Hi there,
I used the EASY plan on my last child, Ben, and it worked brilliantly.
I am now due another child in 1 month and plan to do the same.
I have one question though...
I used the Dreamfeed and it worked ok. But when I mentioned to my GP (and Nurse) that I did a Dreamfeed - and explained it to them - they both recommended that I stop it straight away as they said my child may choke with the milk going down the wrong way. This got me very worried as I had been using it for 3-4 weeks at this stage. I then went to clustering the feeds together and this worked fine but I think only because my baby had gotten used to not waking during the night by that time anyway.
Has anyone else had medical advise not to Dreamfeed? I am worried about trying it again now...
Help!!!
Ben's Mum

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
DreamFeed & Medical Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 22:15:21 pm »
Hi there, I always rouse my baby a little, mostly he is asleep or drowsy, but i change his nappy first so that i know he is not in a deep deep sleep. Also, always pick your baby up to feed them, never never feed them while they are lying in their cots, this is when the danger of choking occurs.
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline Maria Patterson

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 10:25:07 am »
HI there,
Thanks a million for replying. Yes I did always take him out of the cot and tried to hold him as upright as possible in my arms... I will rouse new baby a little to see how it goes...
thanks again
Ben's Mum

Offline cazao

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 18:33:52 pm »
hey there. we dreamfed successfully and didn`t rouse dd at all, and just cradled her in our arms. so long as your lo isn`t flat on his back it shouldn`t be a problem at all. maybe twice in 8months she coughed a little, in which case we just sat her up a little more and all was fine.  my doctor knew we were doing it and thought it was a great idea. it think what i`m saying is keep going, don`t let your doc and hv put you off , the dreamfeed is a wonderful beautiful thing :lol:
Our beautiful baby girl is....

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 18:43:27 pm »
We never ever had a problem.  We used to barely wake Daniel up.  He would seem to just drink a good 7oz 'in his sleep'!  Obviously we held him and made sure he was fairly upright, but he never choked or even spluttered.  In fact it was always the most calm feed of the day.  And definitely my favourite - just so adorable loking sooooo peaceful.  Will definitely do it with the next baby.

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 19:57:53 pm »
Maria - My dh is an ear, nose, and throat doctor and he gives our dd the dreamfeed every night!  :D He's not worried, so neither am I!

Offline rebecca-isabella mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 20:35:50 pm »
Hi there

I also worried about my dd choking after the dream feed. but i have been informed by my doctor that babies up until 4-6 mths have a natural reflex designed to stop them choking!

Rebeccaxx

Mommy to Isabella Grace 22.05.05 (spirited)
Rebeccaxx

Mummy to Isabella Grace 22.05.05
Very very spirited/textbook