Author Topic: When would I see a difference in switching to soy formula?  (Read 6488 times)

Colleen

When would I see a difference in switching to soy formula?
« on: August 26, 2005, 18:35:19 pm »
Just wondering -- Dawson has been a big spitter all along (even when exclusively bf), and it just isn't getting any better with age. It doesn't seem to be bothering him which is why I haven't gone to the doctor about it yet. I stopped bf him last Thursday so at this point I can rule out a milk intolerance from me, but in an effort to rule out milk intolerance altogether I bought soy formula for him today (lacto-free) and I'm wondering when I should see a difference.

Thanks! :)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 18:50:11 pm »
With Max, I noticed less spitting and fussiness in just a few days, the spitting up stopped at about a week after the change. (although some babies just spit up)

{hugs} to you!  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Kitsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 01:19:21 am »
I saw almost instant results.  Less than a day.  But Jon was very young (3.5 weeks).  I would assume that all of the milk protein would have to leave his system first.  A friend of mine with a  2 month old saw results in less than three days.

Let us know how it is going.

Colleen

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 14:02:28 pm »
He is still spitting up right after he eats, but not as much later (he was spitting up constantly all day before ~ like lots of it). :( Now, it is just a little after he eats, so there does seem to be some improvement. :) I'll give it a few more days and then make a decision to stay on soy or not.

I find the formula and spit up smell better though, more of a woodsy/granola smell than the spoiled milk smell. :lol: One thing though is that his car seat (which I DO wash but always is covered in spit up on the straps) smells like BEER now instead of spoiled milk!  :shock: Does soy ferment like yeast does?!?! Gosh, I can only imagine what people would think if they got too close and smelled beer on my baby!  :x

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 02:41:14 am »
:lol:

Thinking of you today and wondering how you're getting along.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline zayandme

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 03:06:22 am »
yup, we saw some results immediately, all within 3 days.
We use Enfamil prosobee- but just a head's up so you don't make the same mistake we did- Don't use enfamil prosobee next step (or any "older kid" versions of your soy formula) if you think a milk allergy is involved. It took me 10 days to notice that my son's fussiness was not because of teething, but due to lactose in the "next step" version.
Sarah,Mom of Isaiah, Textbook/Touchy
Jesus said, " Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27

Offline Kitsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 01:52:42 am »
Right on ZayandMe.  I put my son on Nutramigen.  But it is not milk free.  Neither is Good Start.  The milk proteins have just been broken down.  My son was still sensitive to it. I use Enfamil Prosobee also.