Author Topic: Too hot to swaddle?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Samsonsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 21, 2005, 02:09:18 am »
We live in Florida and though we keep our thermostat at 77, DS's nursery can get quite hot at certain times of day. Even at night, I wonder if he will overheat if we swaddle him.

Also, he HATES to lie on his back. Whenever we put him down on his back he cries, whereas if we put him on his tummy he settles within minutes. I know it could be reflux, but he also hates sitting in his carseat etc. Almost like he just doesn't want his back touching anything. Any thoughts?

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Too hot to swaddle?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 02:57:52 am »
I am concerned about the heat too and swaddling.  But she won't sleep unless we swaddle her.  As for tummy sleeping, I think it is definitely just a baby preference.  But I wouldn't swaddle him for tummy sleep.  As long as he has good head control, I would think that tummy sleep would be OK.  But it's up to you.

Offline Samsonsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 12:39:58 pm »
In our case, DS hates to be swaddled, but I almost think maybe we could get him to sleep on his back (at least at night) if we did swaddle him, because at nighttime he WILL go down on his back, but he then wakes himself up or startles himself by flailing his arms around. I just worry about the heat. We bought one of those "swaddler" blanket thingies that has the velcro closure so that it stays put better, and the pamphlet that came with it said that the baby's environment should be kept between 69 and 71. Well, in Florida in August that is a joke.

So I don't know what's worse...increased risk of SIDS from tummy sleeping, or increased risk of overheating (or SIDS, if I understand right that it may be linked to overheating) from swaddling in an already-warm environment.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: heat/swaddling
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 12:53:01 pm »
Quote (selected)
the pamphlet that came with it said that the baby's environment should be kept between 69 and 71. Well, in Florida in August that is a joke.

ain't it the truth?  :roll: 

Quote from: Samsonsmom
In our case, DS hates to be swaddled, but I almost think maybe we could get him to sleep on his back (at least at night) if we did swaddle him, because at nighttime he WILL go down on his back

you don't mention how old your lo, but by your posts i'd say less than 3 months - although your comments about rolling make me think he might be 4 months?? 

likely i think your lo probably needs to be swaddled - the ones who fight it the hardest seem to need it the most. 

as far as the heat, i would dress him in the lightest onesies you have during the day & light pajamas as night. 

also, neither of my kids ever had their arms swaddled, and that helped with the heat too.  my kids are weird though.  jaina visibly relaxed when her arms were free, and unfortunately, luke learned to like it from the nurses at the hospital when he was born (long story).  it did drive him batty until he started to gain more control over them

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Lianee

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 13:09:50 pm »
You could try swaddling in a sheet with just a nappy on - Tracey mentions it in her lastest book

Offline kzener

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Too hot to swaddle?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 00:44:39 am »
I live in Arizona and have the same issue with the heat. (And his room faces west!)  My DS also appears to hate swaddling but definately needs it as his arms are his worst enemy.  The aussie BW swaddle has been a blessing for me. (The use of a sheet makes it cooler) I also tried the Miracle Blanket (http://www.miracleblanket.com) which I think is really great in being secure. However, I had issues with it being too hot. (But only because my DS is very small and the fabric had to wrap around so many times.)  He also hated his hands down.  He really prefers to have them up near his head and the Aussie Swaddle at least controls them.  See Aussie Swaddle posting.  I also created a pdf out of Ferbit's great pictures and added my comments to how I needed to adjust it.  With all of the pictures, the file is now too big to attach, but I'd be happy to email it via the standard email if you are interested. Just send me a PM if you don't want your email address posted.