Author Topic: naps at day care...how to lengthen  (Read 1210 times)

Offline sunnysideup850

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 21, 2005, 12:19:41 pm »
DS has been in day care 2 days per week since he was 3 months old.  He is now 6.5 months old.  In the beginning he slept fine there, had a little troube going down, but once down he would sleep for 1-2 hours 3 times/day.  Recently they cannot get him to go past his 35 min. sleep cycle.  He is on 4 hr EASY and has been for about 2 months.  He's been on EASY since 2 weeks old.  He is swaddled for naps but does not use a pacifier...never has.  He will suck on one, but since it hasn't been part of his routine it's never really calmed him per se.

The nap room at day care is a darkened room with white noise going.  Of course there are other babies there who sometimes cry.  I'm sure that has something to do with his inability to get to the next sleep cycle. 

At home he sleeps great, 3 naps per day of 1.5 hr, 1.5 hr and 45 min.  He only goes to day care two consecutive days per week.  The rest of the week he is home with me.

I have suggested that they try the paci to lenghten the naps there. But I cannot think of any other suggestions.  Should I even be concerned about this?  On the 5 days he is not in day care he sleeps great, goes right back to his regular routine.  Maybe I should just loosen up about the day care days and just accept that on those days he will take four 35 min naps instead of his usual three longer ones...any suggestions are appreciated.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
naps at day care...how to lengthen
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 20:33:45 pm »
Is this a recent occurrence or has he always had trouble napping there?

(I think you answered that! sorry!)

Can you ask them to monitor it, and see what is happening at the 35 min, mark of his nap?  Is there something environmental happening-- other babies going down at the same time.. or waking up etc.. sleeping noises etc. 

Also, ask them how long the awake time is prior to going down.. it may need to me lengthened a bit.

Don't introduce the soother if he doesn't use one. 

If it's recent, it may sort itself out. If it continues.. then some tweaking of his routine would be needed (ie. lengthening awake time)  But really, he might be becoming more aware of his environment and the change of sleeping environments might be setting him off.  Could they put him in a crib that's away from all the hustle bustle of the room (ie. in the corner of the room, furtherist (sorry, is that even a word??) from the door way, way in the back?

Hope this helps!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004