Author Topic: Waking at night HELP!!  (Read 2141 times)

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Waking at night HELP!!
« on: August 21, 2005, 13:27:39 pm »
Help!  My 13 week baby boy has slept like a dream up until these last 2 weeks.  We brought him home from the hospital and he slept 3-4 hour increments all night long--only woke to eat and easily fell back asleep.  Gradually he began sleeping 5-6 hour increments by about 1.5 months.  About 2 weeks ago he began waking several times in the night...not seemingly hungry....so we'd give him his pacifier and he'd go back to sleep (his pacifier is definitely a prop, as he MUST have it to go to sleep!)...only to be awake an hour later---this goes on ALL night long!  His dream feed is now an expected feed...he wakes for it.  And he has a habitual feed at 4AM as well.  He's on the 3 hour EASY.  It seems that he's now not napping as well during the day too.  I'm exhausted and my patience is thinning....could someone please help me come up with a plan???
Thanks!
Beth

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline giddyup3

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Waking at night HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 14:29:15 pm »
We have almost the exact same problem, so know that you are not alone. See my post above. My 4 1/2 month old son, always a good night sleeper up till a week ago, now wakes every hr needing to be re swaddled and the pacifer stuck back in.  I am hoping for advise too.  Good luck. Christina

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Waking at night HELP!!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 17:30:49 pm »
Thanks Christina---
I truly appreciate knowing that we're not alone.  Asher also needs to be re swaddled and given the pacifier...
I'll keep you posted on anything I read or hear that might be helpful.
Good luck!
Beth

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline giddyup3

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Waking at night HELP!!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 19:05:51 pm »
I should mention too, that Matthew is a very bad afternoon napper.  Once, he was sleeping from 1 to 3:30, not anymore.  I am lucky if he can go 1 hr.  Interestingly enough, if he does wake up after an hour, I can put him in the pram, outside where the rest of us are swimming, music going, lots of noise and he can sleep for another 2 hrs.  Hmm.  Christina

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 01:04:38 am »
How is he getting to sleep? What are his bed time nap time routines? A little more information will be helpful to see where to start  :D
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Waking at night HELP!!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 21:42:59 pm »
Well....to get him to sleep....we swaddle him and give him the pacifier.  The pacifier is SUCH a MUST for him to sleep! (We'd like to get rid of it, but don't know how to go about it!)  He naps 3 times a day (morning, midmorning, and afternoon...and catnaps in the evening) We try and keep him on the 3 hour easy.  He doesn't have a nap routine...except to be swaddled and rocked.  But for bed time he eats and it given a bath and then it's off to bed. 

Any suggestions???

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Waking at night HELP!!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 21:43:12 pm »
Well....to get him to sleep....we swaddle him and give him the pacifier.  The pacifier is SUCH a MUST for him to sleep! (We'd like to get rid of it, but don't know how to go about it!)  He naps 3 times a day (morning, midmorning, and afternoon...and catnaps in the evening) We try and keep him on the 3 hour easy.  He doesn't have a nap routine...except to be swaddled and rocked.  But for bed time he eats and it given a bath and then it's off to bed. 

Any suggestions???

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 01:15:18 am »
Well, I think you probably have figured out the prop is what is most likely causing the problem. The BW way of getting rid of sleep props is to do the PU/PD method to teach them to sleep without the prop. There are nice explanations of the method on the Pick-Up/Put-Down board. Check it out. I know it may seem hard, but the sooner you get rid of the paci, the easier the process will be and he will not wake to get in suckling, only if he is really hungry.  Go over the PU/PD method with your dh so that you are both on the same page and start on a Friday night so that you can support each other through the first couple of days (it can be rough as ds will cry and want his paci). You are not letting him cry it out. You will be right there with him, just teaching him to sleep without the prop. Earphones with soothing music for you can help you get through the process so that you are not just listening to ds cry. The PU/PD board will offer great support and advice before and during making the attempt. Make a plan and stick to it. If you waver, ds will be very confused and the process will take longer.
I wish you the best of luck and remember that with a little effort to get him off the paci, you will be sleeping better in no time  :wink:

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Waking at night HELP!!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 20:23:06 pm »
Thanks Sandy!  We DID start on Friday....and it was hard the first 2 days...easier yesterday...and even easier today!  He has slept the best he's slept since we gave him the paci for sleeps!  Thanks for your advice!

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 19:29:35 pm »
I am soooo happy for you. Great job!!! It is a hard thing, especially the first few nights, but once you start seeing the rewards it seems well worth the effort. Good for you and your family!!!! 8)