Author Topic: How to express milk for two days due to medical procedure?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline lovingabby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How to express milk for two days due to medical procedure?
« on: August 21, 2005, 14:41:29 pm »
Hi,
I am having a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks and do not want to breast feed the day before or the day of due to the medicines I have to take. I have been expressing milk to bottle feed during those two days. However, I have noticed the only way I can get a good amount is by pumping the one side while she is eating off the other. Otherwise I just get the residue.  This has been fine because I have a couple of weeks to collect and store.

However, during those two days, how does it work to express the milk that I will just discard due to the medicines? Will I become so full that it will be easy to express it?  How often should I do it - just when I am full or like at every feeding time? Will I dry up easily?
Thanks,
Suzanne
Mom to Abigail - spirited, touchy, reflux baby

Offline kzener

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 15:34:04 pm »
A laction conslultant told me to pump 1 hour after/before the next feed. But also "not to worry if he/she feeds right after pumping, you're body will produce more".  I find that I only get an ounce out the recently drained breast and much more from the other one.  (But I'm also using an electric pump on both breasts at the same time)

I would think you would need to pump/express milk during those 2 days to keep yourself from becoming engorged and to keep up production.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 18:46:47 pm »
I agree with the "one hour after feeding" rule for pumping, just do it once daily. You should get a let down with the pumping.

As for during the medicines, pump when you normally would feed to keep up your supply. Supply = demand. So if you don't demand, your supply will go down. Make sense?

Sorry you have to have the colonoscopy. They're not much fun. There are new medicines and alternative "clean out" methods that don't take as long as the usual 48 hrs. My doc even offered me a "partial" colonoscopy, where they give you an enema and only go part way. Depends on your situation and the necessity of the procedure. Good luck!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline lovingabby

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 01:25:45 am »
Thanks for the responses. I was just worreid because even now when I can feel the let down and I pump (without DD on the otherside) Ijust get a very small amount.  Will that change since she will not be nursing and I will be full enough to not dry up?  Hope that makes sense.
Thanks,
Suzanne
Mom to Abigail - spirited, touchy, reflux baby

annamum

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 05:23:27 am »
You won't dry up in two days. However, keep pumping even if you get only very little milk. Even if you don't pump much you will stimulate your breasts and send the message to your brain that the milk still needs to be produced.

Good luck with your pumping and colonoscopy. Hope you will be OK.