Author Topic: Questions re: DF, cluster feeds and burping  (Read 1660 times)

Offline beans1030

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Questions re: DF, cluster feeds and burping
« on: August 21, 2005, 16:56:00 pm »
Hi, All.

I have read the book and have really enjoyed these message boards.  I was hoping for some specific advice re: my three week old DD.

The cluster feed before bed idea makes sense to me, as does DF.  But, if she's not hungry, how do I get her to take the breast?  Before starting with EASY (which, admittedly, we haven't started in earnest), I've tried giving her the breast when she wasn't screaming that she was hungry, but she wasn't interested.  So, how do you get a non-hungry baby to take it?

Also, any advice on this one?  My DD had been eating for 20 minute stretches (she eats off of one breast per feeding), but we have a lot of trouble burping her which makes her life really painful and hard.  We've started burping her after every five minutes on the breast, which is working for the gas, but she'll only go back on a second time, which means she's only getting 10 minute feeds.  She's a hearty little one (10 lbs 8 ozs), but I'm afraid I'm starving my baby!  Any thougths?  I tried this a.m. to extend each feeding to 10 minutes before a burp, but that was too much time and gas in her tummy so she not only didn't burp and was crabby and in pain, but she also didn't go back on for more food.

Any thoughts and advice would be most appreciated.  Many thanks to all!

Beans

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Questions re: DF, cluster feeds and burping
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 01:02:38 am »
I would stick with the early burping if it's helping with the gas.  If she keeps gaining weight and is able to go the 3 hrs (or however long she used to go) between feeds, then maybe 10 min is all she needs.  Babies get more efficient at eating as they get older so it usually takes less time for feeds.  If she's gaining weight well, then what's the point in stuffing her and giving her a sore tummy, right?  :wink: Generally, babies eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full....works well, that way!  :D

As for the df - you can try - stimulate her lips with your breast etc.  But you don't want to really wake her up for the feed (because the point is to keep her semi-sleeping).  My lo never took the df - I just fed her when we woke.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline duckiedee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 01:30:50 am »
I have to burp my daughter too in the middle of the feeding - sometimes she goes back, sometimes not.

If she seems satisfied after and content - she has gotten enough.  My DD is a very fast eater and has only been eating about 15 mins per feed since she was less than two weeks old.

A couple of tricks my nurse taught me are:  Pump her little elbow if she is falling asleep - it will stimulate her to eat more if she is still hungry - "walking the plank" does nothing for my girl.  Also I can't do the circles in her palm because she has it closed so tightly.

If her arm is floppy when you pump it - no resistance - she's done.

DD is now only feeding about 10 mins, but I've discovered I have a fast letdown...she drains the breast so I know it's still good.

Good luck.