Author Topic: Hardly any naps!  (Read 1529 times)

Offline lizzie27

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hardly any naps!
« on: August 21, 2005, 18:59:13 pm »
My 3-month old has gone from being great at naps, to hardly having any! Today she has only slept about 1 hour between 7am and 8pm. This has been in short bursts, no more than 30 mins for the longest. She is really tired by bedtime and I don't know what to do! Sometimes she will fall asleep but only stay asleep for 5 minutes. She is then impossible to settle again. She falls asleep great on at bedtime, we have quiet time in her nursey, play soft music, then she goes into her cot awake and falls asleep by herself. I am totally exhausted. We spend all day trying to get her to nap and I don't feel like we have any fun time with her because she is so tired. I have tried doing a short version of the nightime wind down with her but this doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions?

Lizzie - Mum to Evie

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
Hardly any naps!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 19:38:14 pm »
Hey Lizzie - I am by no means an expert (my dd is 12 weeks and she is my first) but they say there is a 3 month growth spurt that can really mess up sleep.  Has your lo seemed more hungry?  The other thing that pops into mind is that she may need her schedule tweaked.  How long is her activity time when the day goes smoothly?  For a 3 month old, on average their awake time is 1.5 hours per 3 hour period.  Sometimes short naps mean they need a longer activity time.  Like I said, I am totally new at this but just wanted to offer some ideas.  My dd battled naps for ages and still does and I know how frustrating it can be to have a cranky baby who needs to sleep to stop being cranky but will not sleep no matter what.   :shock:   I am sure you will get some good advice from the wonderful ladies on this site.  I'll try to check back and see how you get on.

Take care!

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 01:42:26 am »
I don't know the answer but wanted to tell you that I am going through the same thing.  My daughter will be 3 months next week.
Abigail born May 26, 2005

Offline lizzie27

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hardly any naps!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 12:59:43 pm »
She has loads of activity time. She is on a four hour schedule and plays for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Surprisingly enough, today she has gone down really well for her naps and is just taking nearly a 2hr nap! Maybe it was the growth spurt because I haven't done anything differently. Fingers crossed.

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
Hardly any naps!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 15:26:11 pm »
Lizzie - Glad things seem better today.  I have to laugh as things seem to be deteriorating here.   :? My dd is 12 weeks today and she is having trouble with naps again.  And last night it took 1 hour and 45 minutes to get her to sleep.  This is very rare. My dh had to take over after an hour as I had no patience left AT ALL.  :evil:  Her first nap today was shorter than usual (1 hour) and it took me a half hour to get her to nap this second time.  She is having trouble getting through the jolts again and patting her and shushing did not help.  I tried hand pressure on her legs and whether or not that made it so she was able to keep sleeping I don't know.  Crap - I think she is waking up must go.

Offline lizzie27

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hardly any naps!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 16:11:31 pm »
Hi Melissa,

Sounds like you are the same sort of day I was having yesterday. I ended up crying to my dh, thinking things would never get better! I'm not sure whether this is just a one of but my dd is sleeping great today. I hope things get better for you. Sounds like they are both going through the 3 month growth spurt. Will keep you posted on how things go. Let me know when you get back on track.

Lizzie  :D