Author Topic: Long day sleeps affecting night sleeps  (Read 1303 times)

1babyboy

Long day sleeps affecting night sleeps
« on: August 22, 2005, 02:32:59 am »
Recently I have succeeded in lengthing my 9.5mth olds day sleeps using the shhh method (Very proud of myself) and now it seems to be affecting his night sleeps - does this happen or is it just chance?  I wonder whether he is transtioning to one sleep as today I put him down at 11.00am as opposed to 10.00 and it is now 2:30 and he is still asleep.  Has missed lunch and will not need an afternoon sleep -weird.  During the night he is waking between 4 and 5 and often I can shhhh him to sleep again but he wakes every 20 minutes (it's like he wants me to come in and pat his back) and then wakes for the day at between 6.30 and 7.00.  7 is fine but I really stuggle with any earlier.  Are my expectations too high and should I pull my head in and deal with it or is it possible for him to sleep to 6:30 straight through from 7.00 (he used to)    I am becoming fixated on my sleep and getting rather precious about it.  :roll:

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 02:49:47 am »
Did I read correctly, you are putting your lo to bed at 6.30pm & you want him to sleep to 7am... if so that is probably a bit unrealistic.

At 9 months you would expect about 14hours sleep in total over 24hours. Can be +/- about an hour but normally pretty close to the 14 hours. Of which you would expect about 11 hours to be night & then 3 hours in the day either 2x1.5 hours or 1hour +2 hours, although some lo's may do one big long sleep.

I think if 7am is the time you want then you have to put the bedtime later.
around 4/5am is when the last deep cycle of the night starts & if your lo isn't really tired enough to roll into that cycle, they will wake up & never really go back off to sleep, which given that is what your lo is doing proably need to have a later bedtime & also cut back on the day sleep... it could take up to 3 weeks for the morning wakeups to get later, I know it did with us!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 20:37:17 pm »
If going to bed around 6:30.. you can expect an morning wake up from 6 am and on. You have to go by his behaviour.. if he's happy and getting good naps.. then everything is fine. Go to bed early and be ready to start after 6 am.

If he wakes between 4 and 5, then yes, I would work on that.  Sometimes, just holding back and giving him a chance to fall back to sleep is in order. Many babies will wake up at this time, babble and then cry out and fall back to sleep.

We Moms get so fixated on sleep, don't we? :wink:
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004