Author Topic: Help!!!- baby sleep problems since birth  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Danny

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 22, 2005, 12:15:02 pm »
Sofia is now 6 1/2 months old and I have been  following EASY since she was about 5 weeks. We have ALWAYS had to shush-pat to get her to sleep except the morning nap which she used to do completely on her own. Sofia rarely naps for more than 30-45 minutes three times a day and wakes grumpy and tired. She's very easily overexcitable; a dark quiet rooms has her chatting away for an hour kicking her legs about and eating her toes even if she has been yarning (the spelling of this doesn't look right but I'm so tired I can't think anymore) and rudding her eyes
I have tried patting, pu/pd and as a very last resort breastfeeding to get her to sleep longer during the day- nothing seems to work just occasionally she'll go for a long nap and then not do it again for days. We generally have the same routine for naps (although times vary depending on when she wakes in the morning)
At night she used to sleep (10 weeks to 5 mnths) from about 8.30 till 6.30, but it has always taken about an hour to get her to sleep. Recently, however Sofia has started waking frequently during the night, she's a very big baby so we started her on solids just over 5 months and this has been going ok. However she is still waking during the night especially before 1 am and only I can put her back to sleep- she screams as soon as she sees my husband with me she will hug my arm while I pat and stoke her. Shushing now seems to distract her so I tend to avoid this
The big concern is I am going back to work and she will be looked afte my my husband one day per week and my parents the other four days. At the moment I feel she really doesn't know how to comfort herself and I am her soother. Any ideas would be really really really  :cry: appreciated.

Offline Lindsay79

• Showing Appreciation 0
Help!!!- baby sleep problems since birth
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 14:35:09 pm »
Hi Danny
I can totally understand where you are coming from as I'm in a similar position with my 4 month dd.  She rarely sleeps past 45 mins and still wakes during the night for a feed ...
I think we have no choice but to do pu/pd with her as pat shh seems to make her worse now.  Have you tried pu/pd?

Lindsay

Offline Danny

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 19:19:53 pm »
Hello,
Have treid PU/PD twice first time she went to sleep for her nap after 35 minutes of doing it I still needed to pat her though. Second time she screamed and screamed until finally she calmed down but just started playing in her cot, this was around 2 pm and she had only slept about 20 minutes that day since waking by 3 I gave up as she was due feed. Spoke to HV today she said to make sure I put her down sleepy but not asleep. Sofia never really gets like that she may rub her eyes a little but then as soon as I put her in the cot she either screams or plays- for ages! Then always relies on me to get her to sleep accept usually the morning nap- very odd. I'm a little concerned she's hyperactive!
Have you given PU/PD a go?

Offline Lindsay79

• Showing Appreciation 0
Help!!!- baby sleep problems since birth
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 19:19:38 pm »
hiya,
just started pu/pd today and its been rough! BUT ... put her down at bedtime 7.00pm awake (well very sleepy!) and after a few mantra cries she put herself to sleep!!!
I had to pat her too or just keep my hand on her for comfort.  I think a good wind down routine helps with those hyperactive little ones!

Listen, seeing as we are starting this at the same time, feel free to private message me and I'll try and help you if I can.

Lindsay