Author Topic: When to try a big kid bed????  (Read 1509 times)

Offline aliciasmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
When to try a big kid bed????
« on: August 22, 2005, 18:36:42 pm »
I have a 17m old dd and I'm currently pregnant I will be due on Jan,3. I would like to have my dd out of the crib by the time the baby arrives.   And I want to try and put her in a big girl bed at the end of next month.  She still is wakes up 1-2 times a night SOMETHIMES, she is teething right now.  And I was just wondering when you all think it would be a good time. Thanks
Mother to Alicia
Born 4/17/04

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 18:50:22 pm »
Hi there - I have just been through this dillema - Mads is 18 months and we have just moved and I was wondering whether to just go ahead and wean her into a big bed - however she is an active little thing and I just know that she would get out of bed if she couldn't sleep and was worried that it would just be too much of a temptation to start getting up earlier and playing etc..  :roll:  In addition to that, sometimes when I go into her in the night, she is all scrunched up in funny positions on her bed and I was worried she would keep falling out - so we decided to just leave her in the cot for the time being.

At Christmas, when she will be 22 months, we will be heading home for a few weeks to the UK and I know my Mum has bought her a toddler bed - so I guess we will see how that goes and think about it again then!

HTH!
Dee
x

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 19:45:53 pm »
My ds just HATED his crib, from day one.

We put him in a big boy bed (actually a toddler bed) at a year old, and into a real twin bed at about 16 months (no frame).  He can get in and out, but NEVER does.  YET!!! :wink:

From the night we put him in the real bed, he has slept through almost consistantly.  Had some rough patches related to teething, but SOOOO much better than before.

So, there's a success story, if you're interested in trying!!

FYI - we also completely (well, as completely as you can ever try!) baby-proofed his room, so that if he DID get up, he couldn't hurt himself.  We also put one of those childproof door handles on the inside of his room, so he can't get out in the middle of hte night and go wandering around.
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 20:54:22 pm »
we put jaina into her bed around 18 months - so the impending newborn would be able to sleep in the crib.

the bed is on the floor in the corner & we put bed rails on the remaining 2 sides so there was only a little place where she could get in/out.

it took 3 days for me to teach her to stay in there during naps.  we never had a problem at night.

now, she will generally get out & play until she falls asleep at naptime (either in bed or on the floor  :roll: ) but we have never (knock on wood) had a problem at bedtime.

and, like tonya said, we babyproofed as much as possible & put one of those door-handle-thingys on the inside knob so she can't get out.

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline aliciasmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 15:37:02 pm »
Thankyou all so much for the replies, I would have gotten back sooner but my computer shut off on me.  To Maddys mum, our dd is the same way she flips and flops all the time to get to sleep.  She is always in weird spots in the crib with blankets all wraped around her.  So I'm in the same boat you are.  But were going to at least give it a shot.  Thanks
Mother to Alicia
Born 4/17/04