Author Topic: Don't know if I should have started dreamfeed?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline reedgal33

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Don't know if I should have started dreamfeed?
« on: August 23, 2005, 21:01:10 pm »
Hi, I am totally new to this, my BB of 8 months has never been on a real routine - I was definitely an accidental parent!  I recently bought Baby whisperer solves all your problems as I needed something structured to follow, I couldn't keep on rocking him to sleep. 

I used PU/PD and it has worked like a dream - however my BB goes to bed at 7-7.30 I give him a dreamfeed between 10-11 (he's 8 months) and he wakes just before 5 or about 5.30 to start his day no matter how much PU/PD I do.

He eats 3 meals a day - and has 4 bf's at 7, 11, 3 and 6.30 plus the dreamfeed which he does seem to need???? I think?

I just don't know whwre to go from here?  Do I drop the dreamfeed?  Even though I've just started it?  He's in a cot in our room - would it help if he went in his own room?  Only reason he's been with us so long as he's had kidney problems and I wanted to keep an eye on him!

He's just over 10kg (22lbs) so I know he's getting enough I'm just afraid if I stop the dreamfeed he'll wake up like he used to and still be awake at 5am.

If anyone has any similiar experience or advice of what to do - I would love to know.

Thank you

Emma - Mum to Elliott 8 months

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 21:19:48 pm »
I would definitely give dropping the df a try, if it does not work out you could always go back to it.  I would think personally though that at his age and weight he probably does not really need it as long as he eats well during the day.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline amheusser

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 22:20:22 pm »
We've never used a dreamfeed (with either of my girls) because it didn't seem to make any difference.  They're both early birds, awake & ready to go at 6 am, no matter what we change.  :?   So I'd drop it, just to save yourself the trouble.  He probably doesn't need the extra calories at this age, and if you have to deal with early mornings anyway, you could use the earlier bedtime yourself!  :wink:
Aubrey
-------------------------------

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 23:48:16 pm »
I also think it's worth trying to drop the df and you can return to it if needed.  It may or may not help the 5 am waking though - that age seems to be bad for waking at that time (is it the birds outside or what??).  Sounds really habitual.  Have you checked the stuff on wake to sleep on the sleep boards?  Might help...
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline reedgal33

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 14:55:06 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies - It has been good to share this with you!  I will try dropping the d/f tonight and we have decided to put Elliott in his own room this weekend as it'a a bank holiday so we have 3 days to settle him in - I will let you know how I get on.

Emma :D