Author Topic: Is my milk supply "drying up"?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline kyemickaj

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 23, 2005, 23:21:51 pm »
Hi there!  I'm concerned that maybe my milk supply is "drying up".  I have been giving my 8 week old an expressed bottle one evening a week as I have him babysat and can usually express about 100ml from each breast when I get home.  Last night I found that I was lucky to get 30ml altogether...  :shock:

I have him on E.A.S.Y which seems to be working really well and he's even sleeping (after a dream feed at 11:00pm) through until 5:00am and then again at 8:00am to start our day.

I know that I haven't been eating all that well lately, could this be affecting it?  I have also found that in the past few days, my breast feel nowhere near as full before feeds.  He seems to be only snacking when I feed him every three hours during the day, could this be why?  Should I put him on formula to substitute?  How can I build my milk supply?  HELP???   :? I don't want him to starve!

AJ's Mummy
Kylie
Mummy to AJ born 30/06/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Is my milk supply "drying up"?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 23:41:49 pm »
OK, first of all, don't panic!  :)

Now, you said that you haven't been eating that well lately - this as well as the fluids you take in and the amount of rest you're getting can definitey affect your milk supply.  Eat better, drink more and get more sleep (if you can!). Why do you think he's snacking during the day? Is it because his feeds take less time?  He'll be getting more efficient, so it might take him less time to get the same amount of milk. When's the last time you had him weighed?  How many dirty diapers (pee and poo) is he having a day?  Both of these are better ways to judge your milk supply than a pump. He's not waking overnight to eat, so he may well be getting enough during the day.  I would not suggest supplementing with formula, because this will actually work to decrease your milk supply (bf'ing works on supply and demand, so if you give formula, it tells your breasts that you don't need to produce milk for that feed).

If his weight and diapers are good, but you still think your supply is down, the best way to increase is to feed more often.  You might not want to mess with EASY by feeding him more often though.  You can also try pumping for 5 min at the end of each feed to increase your overall supply.  Also make sure you're getting enough fluids.  If his weight gain hasn't been good though, I would suggest you see a lactation consultant, just to check things out. 

I'm not completely sure why you'd have less milk when you pump after coming home than you used to. Maybe try the other stuff first, and see if it has any effect.  Hope that helps!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 00:11:48 am »
I agree with Erin. He may actually be doing great and getting enough of milk but your breast doesn't seem to be full... This often happens after a few innitial weeks, it just doesn't feel to be full and that's normal, your breasts adjusted to produce amount needed for your lo and are not full or heavy.

Second thing, with pumping it is not as with nursing. I was able to pump on some days 6 oz in 2 monutes and on some other days, I had no let-down and no milk. It is affected by our mood, diet, water intake. Your baby is much more efficient than a pump, and his feeding time should have shortened naturally. Nursing for 5 minutes is not unusual at all.

However, if you are still concerned about your supply, we will gladly provide you with more info how to do this LOL.

Offline kyemickaj

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 01:42:35 am »
Thank you soooo much ladies!  You've put my worried mind at ease...  He IS gaining weight rapidly and pooing and peeing the same as always so maybe it is that he is eating more efficiently now.  It usually takes around 5 to 10 minutes and he's done now.  I will however, try to eat and drink more as I know that I haven't paid much attention to that lately.  I also read in BW that I should pump 10 minutes after feeding to increase my supply, so I might try that as well.

He does get grumpy in the afternoons and I was of the belief that it was because he was hungry but maybe it's because I haven't eaten well during the day.

Once again, thank you for the advice (much appreciated)!  I will post on how we're going and if I have any more questions.
Kylie
Mummy to AJ born 30/06/05

annamum

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 15:27:55 pm »
Babies are grumpy in the evenings, they are usually overtired by then. Usually, also this is the moment when woman's supply is at its lowest.